Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Luck was on my side!

Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luck was on my side!

Just this past Monday, a buddy of mine and I met up at the Arlington Highlands located off of I-20 and Matlock. We hung out for a bit and waited for a guy to respond from Craigslist so I can go pick up a battery tie down. Right when we left from Boomerjacks, I started to travel west on the service rd attempting to enter I20 highway then all of the sudden...... I wasn't able to go into gear!!!(at this time, we were going about 40 mph in 4th gear). We were going uphill at the moment and I was thinking to myself... dude, we are going to have to push this car over this hill, pass the intersection, then to the first entrance to whatever parking lot we see. Fortunately, the light turned green and there were NO CARS in front of me so I just coasted along. The first entrance was to a parking lot of a hospital. I tapped on the brakes a little to ensure that I did lose any speed straight to a parking spot! Hahaha no pushing needed!

I waited about 30 minutes for a friend with a truck and some tow straps to come by. We hooked it up and took the service rd all the way back home. Once we pushed the car up the drive way and into the garage, I immediately lifted the vehicle on four jack stands and began troubleshooting the problem. Master cylinder was fine, slave was fine, there was plenty of fluid, car went into the gear when it was in the air however there was a wind as the clutch was engaged. After a couple of minutes, I figured it could've been two things, my throw out bearing or the torsion spring snapped out of place. I waited until the next day then started to take the transmission apart.... HOLY S^#$ it took me a full day to take the sucker out and guess what? I didn't break anything! It's not easy doing it by yourself either!

Problem:

I am glad that it wasn't something horrific or totally crazy that I'd have to buy. I figured since I have everything out, why dont I just buy a couple of new items and install those as well while I'm at it. I went ahead and......

resurfaced the flywheel $25
bought new oem motor mounts $280 (for both)
new oem clutch line $20
competition clutch stage 2 kit $400 (newer version with no clutch buzz)
OEM trans fluid 2 qts $7
Hi temp grease $4
Case of beer $Fridge

I had our family friend Phong from Redline order the parts for me. It only took 3 days to come in. I had all of the parts.... everything just went very smooth. Two of my friends help me put everything back together, I couldn't have asked for more. From being able to coast the car without having to push it up a hill, the parts coming in quick, to every else just going according to plan made me feel that luck was on my side. I still had a couple of days to spar on my vacation to just relax.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Wow.... is all i can say to that had you not felt a difference in the clutch from normal ? How many miles did you have on that clutch if you dont mind me asking ? AP1 AP2?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 PM

I have an AP1, I purchased the vehicle used with the clutch already installed. It also had a ACT pressure plate as well. I drove roughly 60k before this incident. I've never taken my car to the track or anything.

I never asked the previous owner about the clutch or anything. I figured it was aftermarket just by feeling the pedal. I bought the car at 90k and it never gave me any problems until that incident.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:38 AM

I guess it held up for a good amount of time i have had issues in the past with act with the same issue the springs would break off i did some damage to my old hatch i used to have. least you went with CC
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM

It sure did hold up. I am glad that it lasted that long. I began to hear the throw out bearing rattle a lot more so it was just a matter of time. I also had a act clutch for a jdm b18c in my 94 hatch. So one thing after another, just yesterday my window cable snapped on the driver side! I am in search of a motor now, Honda has it for 332 before tax. Thankfully I get 30% off with them or I can just pick one up from ebay. Ahhh things that happen after 150k.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

im glad you posted this as i have just upped my boost to 9-10 psi and still on stock clutch the ap1 does well i have been at 7 psi for 10,000 miles so i expect the clutch is on borrowed time looks like act is out thanks and congrats on making it out of the street ive not been so lucky blew fuel pump fuse in rock wall on the service road in front of chilly s that suck huge hill and just me and my sister uh
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM

You're welcome. Hows the stock clutch holding up? I have about 200 miles left until the 500 mark then Im thinking about bleeding the clutch one more time. I am so glad this clutch doesn't have the buzz that my other two friends have. I called competition clutch and ask them about it. They stated that the newer ones have a different material which deletes that noise when in gear and down shifting. The engagement is a lot more sensitive! What did you end up doing when the fuse blew? I'm assuming the sister steered while you pushed huh?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Stage 2 is 80% increase in torque over stock clutch and features a full-face carbon/kevlar i beleive this is what mades the difference from that chatter noise.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

well she started pushing and i steered to show up the cop that didn't want to help he wanted to use his push bumper so when a girl started pushing he parked his cruiser and help i have two fake hips so that's another reason i wasn't pushing at the rear so the dick cop got showed up by a cripple and a girl but that's rock wall for you and that weekend i installed a relay on the fuel pump
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by M&M08
Stage 2 is 80% increase in torque over stock clutch and features a full-face carbon/kevlar i beleive this is what mades the difference from that chatter noise.

That makes sense. I'm assuming the material is what causes the buzz that everybody keeps talking about. This thing is absolutely quiet. The pressure on the pedal feels very light and it's a lot easier for me than the ACT since I hit traffic everyday to and from work Great clutch kit though. I'd recommend it.

Quick Reply: Luck was on my side!