Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Honda Civic Si Sedan

Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic Si Sedan

How's the ownership experience / opinion of the the Honda Civic Si Sedan?

I test drove one the other day. It drives nicely, its comfy enough but still gives you feedback on what the chassis is doing. i like the exhaust note and iVTEC sounds is addicting.

what i like:
+ 4 dr and can sit 5
+ decent size trunk and space
+ front seat fits well (for me)
+ got almost everything and i don't have to see what package i have to pay extra for

what i don't like:
- my hand slipped off the shifter a few times when shifting into 2nd or 4th (maybe its the driving position or i am just not used it)
- 6th gear is short (not great for highway cruising in top gear)
- the 2 tier speed and tach need getting used to (i rather have the tach at the top so that i know when to shift )
- i rather have a hybrid spoiler (or the tall type R wing) than a "flat wing"
- i don't mind paying extra for a set of factory HID

Question:
- Anybody swap out the low profile wing for something else like the hybrid spoiler or type R wing? are the mounting points the same as the factory low profile wing?
- what kind of real world mpg are you guys getting?
- i live in socal, should i worry too much about theft? i know the previous Si's are theft magnet.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:41 PM

random ?. why are you posting in the north texas forum?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:51 PM

a glitch? i thought i was posting in car talk

sorry mod, please move this thread to car talk
Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to swap the Wing on the trunk is to either swap trunks with someone, or buy the JDM FD2 wing ( the bolt alignment is similar, and the pedestals will cover the holes left). But you'll have to live without a 3rd brake light.

In 2006 When the car first came out it was rated at 26/32. Since the EPA changed it's testing methods it's highway is rated at 29.

I owned a 2006 and I averaged around 27 combined, up to 37 highway. I got as bad as 24 when I was on the big Cam all the time. But with normal and occasional aggressive driving you should be able to still get 27 mpg.

The 1999-2000 Si's were theft magnets. The fact that parts could be shared so easily with Civics/Integras/del sol models as far back as 1988 made them valuable targets for parts re-selling. combine that with no theft deterrent measures whatsoever and you can see why. The current Si's have immobilizers and special machined cut keys. It could still be stolen, but it's gotten much harder to. Flat bedding is always a possibility but if a thief were to go to such measures there's nothing you could have done anyway. Rumor has it that pulling the ebrake and pressing the brake pedal a certain number of times in a special sequence defeats the immobilizer, although I've never seen it. I think it's just urban legend.

Aftermarket HID can be had for Sub $50 these days. See www.apexcone.com

"when to shift" by meaning shifting at redline? There's a Red LED shift light in the Speedometer Binnacle. The closer you are to the vehicle's maximum revs the faster this light blinks.

There is no "package" with the Si. They come as they are/as you saw it. There are several options however.

The Si HPT (High performance tire) for $200 more you can get the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 UHP tire.

The Si -Navi (Navigation and HandsfreeLink(HFL is MY09+) + $1900 ish

Or get the Nav and HPT option together. + $ 2100 ish

Most people I know that own them, really like the car. I really enjoyed mine. But the fact it appeals to the typical honda buyer (Durable, Good Quality, Reliable, Good Fit/Finish, low Maintainence cost, easy to drive) means it's about as exciting as a Honda (not really). It's a GOOD CAR. based on the list of what you think the car does well and the list of what it's shortcomings are (which look correctable) the Si would be a good match for you.

For a little spicier considerations check out a MS3, or a WRX.

great time to buy one too, there's $750 marketing support and 2.9%/3.9% Financing terms available.