Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

JIC Magic Coil-Overs

Old 03-25-2003, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JIC Magic Coil-Overs

I know that several owners in the group have these on their cars.

I put these on 3 weeks ago and I have tried out different settings.

I am on "17 ASA FR1's and I was wondering what ride height some of you are running. Measurements taken in 2 locations, top of wheel/rim to the top of the fender well, where the paint and fender liner meet, and from the ground to top of fender well.

after many adjustments: From the ground up to the middle of the fender well, I am at 25.25 in rear and 25.5 in the front.

Please let me know where you are sitting at or if I am off.

I have not got an alignment on the car, because I have been messing with the height adjustments. Once I narrow this down, I will get an alignment.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 03-25-2003, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a height that you like (aesthetically), and that isn't too low to give you some suspension travel. Then see if TypeSH has purchased those scales and take your car over to corner weight it.
There is no "right height". It's all about what you like. Some people like the "slammed" look. Some people like a slightly lowered stance for improved handling, and a more aggressive look. Some people want to go "rally style". Everybody has their own taste.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you adjust the height left / right with you sitting in the driver seat? It seems that you would want the car to be level side to side with you in it. As far as the front / rear heights, I would suggest looking at the stock heights, and dropping down from that by an equal amount in the front and rear. You should also make sure the car is sitting on a perfectly level spot. Any variation in the surface will translate into variations in your adjustments. It will be hard to find a concrete pad that has less than 1/4" of variation.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the TEIN coilovers and realy like the balance at .8" lower in front and 1" lower in rear. In the Mugen tech report they stated that the car is very responsive to changes in rake. I would agree. Doing away with some of the "stock" positive rake seems to settle the back end down a bit. Not that you need any help with that...

I can't remember off the top of my head what the wheel/fender gap is but I can tell you that there is an unscientific "two-finger" gap between the tire and fender. Any lower than this and you will run out of alignment adjustment (camber and toe).
Old 03-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clovis
[B]I have the TEIN coilovers and realy like the balance at .8" lower in front and 1" lower in rear.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:49 AM

my garage floor is not too bad, I have a special coat of paint on floor to make it smooth, but it is slopped a little for water to drain off the car and roll down and out of the garage. I have the left side 1/16 higher than the right, to offset my weight in the car. I haven't had anyone measure this for me, while I am sitting in car.

Other than that the car is level.

The ass end so much more planted than ever before, I love the way the car reacts and responds currently.

I guess once I get an alignment done, I will know wether I am to extreme on the ride height.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:03 PM

I have my buddy clubs set at 25.125 in front and 25.375 in the rear. I initially set them much lower and periodically raised them until they didn't rub. I'll occasionally get a rub on a severe bump, but I can live with that. Something that helps with rubbing is to remove the snap in fixtures that hold the fender liners to the wheel well flares and tuck the liner behind the flair. Check put these pictures:

Old 03-26-2003, 04:32 PM

does any of the springs sit loose on the lower perch?

loose to the point that you can move them around with your hand?
Old 03-26-2003, 04:34 PM

No. IMO, you should preload the springs enough to take out any play.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:38 PM

ok. I have taken out the play.

I believe the JIC have made it so that there is a maximum lowering in both front and rear, becuase the springs would be sitting losely on the perch if I went any lower.

I will take the car to an alignment shop and see if they can get with in stock specs based on the current setup.

The car handles so much better than stock.

Fperra,
will you go to the PCA event this weekend?

I haven't seen you at any auto-x's

Quick Reply: JIC Magic Coil-Overs