Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

New to autocross

Old 08-25-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to autocross

So I'd like to do some autocross to learn how to better drive my car and of course be able to legally drive it at the limit a bit. All of my cars to this point have been FWD so my only real RWD experience has been in my F150. Went to a couple autocross events back when I was 16 and spent a few weekends driving rotax karts around that time too but otherwise have no experience.

Can anyone suggest what a complete newbie to autocross do? I live near TMS and would like to come to those events but don't want to just show up clueless...
Old 08-25-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several different organizations that you can autocross with - SCCA, BMW, NTX S2000, and the list goes on. If you wanted, you could go practically every weekend. Clueless is the best way. Just show up with your car in good shape to pass tech, pay attention to the newbie course walk, then walk walk walk the course until it closes, and ride along with as many people as possible. Everyone is friendly and willing to help if you are willing to listen. Since you are new, you will be able to run in the novice class, which will somewhat negate any mods that you have on your car. If your car is stock, leave it that way (except changing your fluids and upgrading your brake pads). Don't even worry about tires at 1st. Just focus on being consistent and improving every run. As your skill level increases you will then make the decision as to what class you will want to run, which will determine what mods you can make to your car. The 3 most important things - 1) Go with an open mind 2) Make sure your car is prepped 3)Have fun

Basically your day will break down like this:
Leave at the buttcrack of dawn to get there in enough time to tech your car and walk the course multiple times and chat with others

Attend the novice driver's meeting & novice course walk through, then the driver's meeting and get your run/work assignments

Work the course or wait for your group to run. While waiting ride along with as many people as possible. When your group gets to the staging area, grab a helmet(if you don't already own one) and ask for an instructor to ride with you.

Drive - you'll get 4 or 5 runs, either concurrently or you'll get back in line depending on the organization. Try to improve on every lap - this is where having an instructor or experienced auto-xer with you will help.

Check out your info on the board and take lunch.

Repeat for the afternoon session.

Things to bring:
Tire pressure gauge
Cash for lunch / helmet sock(if borrowing a helmet)
Sunscreen
Sunglasses & a hat
Painters tape for your number/class
Water/gatorade
A bag or large box to place everything from your car into(floor mats/trunk stuff)
A fresh shirt, sandals & shorts to drive home in

When you have the chance, read the scca class rules, and check out the various sites for organizations that run locally.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the very detailed response. It will probably be mid-October before I'll have a full weekend day with nothing planned so I'll have to give it a shot then. Gives me time to get everything on the car checked out before I start pushing it too hard anyway.

I found one event at TMS on September 19, being that I live about 10mins away I assume it's OK for me to show up as a spectator and just talk to people and watch. I would go ahead and try to run that day but I don't think I'll be able to--I would have a few hours though.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SCCA holds an autocross school sometime in the fall. I attended it last year and it was the best bang for the buck ever. It is technically a whole weekend even as the school is held on a Saturday with the 1st 2/5's of the day being classroom instruction, 2/5's seat time in small groups classed accordingly running with an instructor (or letting an instructor drive your car with you as a passenger for a lap or two if you desire), then at the very end of the day unregulated fun runs. The best part is that the fee for the school also includes registration for the autox held the following day.

There are quite a few events held at TMS, and spectators are always welcome. You would also be able to ride along if you get there early and chat with some people.

Just a heads up about TMS... the surface may be initially a bit of a challenge, but will make you better in the long run. If your tires aren't warmed up, you will slide. If your tires get greasy, you will slide. If your air pressure isn't in the optimal range, you will slide. If there is the slightest bit of moisture, you will slide(or spin). Courses that use the full extent of the lot typically have a few off-camber turns, which if you are not prepared for.... you guessed it - more sliding. All that being said, it will totally make you focus on car control, which is the whole point. Then when you go to an event with substantial grip you will feel like Helio Castroneves.

The greatest thing is that you will be improving as a driver and realizing exactly what you need to do to be fast and agile in your car.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerBs75
Thanks for the very detailed response. It will probably be mid-October before I'll have a full weekend day with nothing planned so I'll have to give it a shot then. Gives me time to get everything on the car checked out before I start pushing it too hard anyway.

I found one event at TMS on September 19, being that I live about 10mins away I assume it's OK for me to show up as a spectator and just talk to people and watch. I would go ahead and try to run that day but I don't think I'll be able to--I would have a few hours though.
I should be there as will a number of local owners.
Come by bring a headsock/helmet and ride along with us. Happy to take you through a few runs.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:42 AM

Sounds good... Now I've got to find my helmet and make sure it's still good...
Old 08-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm envious! I live out in West Texas, so I only get to attend an even when I'm in the Metroplex visiting family.

Everyone is super nice and helpful. I've gone to both s2k and BMW club events, and both groups were great (BMW guys dispelled all stereotypes).

Keep in mind that you'll be slow when compared to others, but all that matters is improving on every lap.