Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

New car build

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Just call it MOTA, it's true name inverted.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Just call it MOTA, it's true name inverted.
I like that. Thanks for the great idea.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM

You could call it the "ADAM" since everyone will think your referring to the other "atom."
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM

For an update my car is still in transit. But the EP3 k20 uses the same spark plugs as the S2000 and a good serpentine belt to use for an EP3 with no AC is the Prestone 505K7. The oil filter is different than the S2000, I had a case of filters for my S2000 so that was easy to figure out. I'm waiting to do a valve adjustment when I put the engine in the car. The engine is just sitting on some rolling moving dollies from Harbor Freight for now. And putting the new belt on I almost tipped it over. So the rest of the engine refresh will wait till the car gets here. And I am still debating on doing a thermostat and water pump replacement. I have also been doing allot of research on the wiring since I have no car to start with. And found Hybrid racing has a K20a racing harness that would solve quite a few problems but getting questions answer from them is a pain in the arse. I think I have a 02 jdm K20a but they have 2 harnesses for 02-04 and 05-06 . Asked a simple question on how to tell the difference. I got an answer of the wiring is different and the VSS plug is different. Did they care to tell me what was different. F___NO. I know I have an 02 ecu, but they are interchangeable. And from what I found I am almost sure I have an 02 engine/harness. Just would like some verification especially from a company that would like some of my money.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace thermostat and water pump replacement to start everything fresh, and you don't have to worry about them for at least 5~6 years
Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like you are planning on registering it for the street? How difficult is that these days?
Any plans for track days? Which organizations? Several years ago I asked Drivers Edge and they said they don't allow such cars.
What are your thoughts for sourcing some of the running gear? Ie, seats, dash, lights, brakes...
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this link is accurate, it doesn't appear too painful in Texas.

First off, they'll need a safety inspection by a licensed safety inspection shop. Your title application must include the Standard of Safety Statement (Form VTR-470), signed by an official inspector. The inspector will make sure your vehicle has all the necessary safety equipment, such as the correct mirrors, adequate brakes, headlights, turn signals, seat belts, and so forth.

When looking for an inspection station, try to choose one that has inspected custom-built vehicles before (in other words, they have experience determining whether such unique vehicles are safe). What are you up against? You can look up a detailed list of the components that will be verified during a standard vehicle safety inspection.

You may need the state to issue your creation a vehicle identification number, or VIN. Be prepared to hand over all receipts or bills of sale for all components that you used to assemble the vehicle (this means keeping diligent records for the duration of your project). This is partly so the state can make sure neither the chassis nor any of the parts were stolen, and also to help determine the value of the vehicle.

After all this, be sure to get the vehicle insured. Then it's off to your local County Tax Assessor-Collectors office to initiate the titling and registration process.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Elistan
Sounds like you are planning on registering it for the street? How difficult is that these days?
Any plans for track days? Which organizations? Several years ago I asked Drivers Edge and they said they don't allow such cars.
What are your thoughts for sourcing some of the running gear? Ie, seats, dash, lights, brakes...
Yes, I was definitely going to register it for the street. I have the current document and there are 8 steps. The basic steps would be to get an assigned vin. This takes a visit from a law enforcement officer to make sure nothing is stolen. Then safety inspection, then paying the tax man. And filling out half a dozen forms in the process.

I might do some open track days, but I said I was going to do that with the S2000. And 7 years latter, the only track days I have done are in an Atom. I mainly wanted a big bike, but I have issues with balance so that would not be that great of an idea.

The car comes with the basic seats, and I ordered it as a roller so I has wilwood 4 piston brakes with 2 piece vented disks at all corners. wheels, tires. The dash is mostly there I am going to do custom work there. I am not going to get the unit that comes with the Atom it is $1400, and I think its not worth the price. Its not as smooth as something that costs that much should be. I also have access to an industrial sized 3d printer at work to make anything unique I would need. I have 2 wiring kits already. A painless t-bucket kit that has all the basic body side wiring,. It has a nice fuse block with the turn and hazard light relays built in. I also have a Hybrid racing K20 race harness to get me the wiring to tie into the ecu, all the warming lights, and the gauge signals.

The signal stocks are on the car but the only lights are the headlights, rain and backup light. And back in my jeep days I found a place down in Dallas that has great prices on LED lights with the housings. And I will probably end up printing some custom covers for them.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Do you happen to work for/with 3ds?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrKlean187
Do you happen to work for/with 3ds?
No, I work for a small engineering consulting firm that does custom aircraft interiors for commercial size aircraft.

Quick Reply: New car build