Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

New North Texas Club Sponsor - Discount Tire, Plano

Old 09-24-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New North Texas Club Sponsor - Discount Tire, Plano

We have succesfully negotiated our first club sponsor/supporter at Discount Tire in Plano. Note: This is currently only for the Discount Tire located at 301 W Spring Creek in Plano (NW Corner of Spring Creek and 75). It's also important to note that the more business we give them the better the deals will get.

The Deal: Show your club membership card and they will match Tire Rack prices (which are darn good), plus you won't pay for shipping, and mounting is free.

Our contact is Al Cavan and you MUST show your club membership card. If you have paid your 2002 dues and have not yet recieved your card they are available at all meets/events for pick-up.

Discount Tire
301 W Spring Creek Pkwy
Plano, TX 75023
(972)527-6012
Old 09-24-2002, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That is cool. Do you know if they will honor that for R compound tires? The Discount Tire at Park & the Tollway wants $150 to mount & balance 4 race tires. They say that the R compound tires are too hard to mount without damaging the wheels, so they have to charge more to compensate.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm fairly sure they will honor this for all tire types. The Park and Tollway location also wanted to charge $140 claiming the ultra low profile (265/35 18's) would take them more time. I was in and out of the Spring Creek location in under an hour and paid a whole lot less. In return they simply ask for our business.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fore reference, the Discount Tire in Bedford off of Harwood will match Tire Rack (all the time), plus they provide a discount to SCCA members (they have never required id, though) for half-price labor on mount/dismount and a $5 balance (IIRC). Ends up being about $10 a corner for dismount, mount, and balance. No disposal fees.

I understand the one in NRH gives the same discount. I'll talk to them about something NTS2KOC-specific the next time I'm there.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B] The Discount Tire at Park & the Tollway wants $150 to mount & balance 4 race tires.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Altiain,

I didn't say that I PAID $150 to have them mounted. I said that is how much Discount Tire WANTS. I wound up going somewhere else. I guess the Discount Tire at the Tollway & Park either has crappy equipment, or crappy employees, so they have to pay out allot of money for damaged wheels...
Old 09-26-2002, 08:32 AM

Iain, with as many tires as you go through, you'd be a fool to not buy a tire changer and balancer (or do an old-school balance). Or does one of YOUR shirts have "sucker" written on it?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by marcucci
Iain, with as many tires as you go through, you'd be a fool to not buy a tire changer and balancer (or do an old-school balance). Or does one of YOUR shirts have "sucker" written on it?
Hey, if I was building a house with an attached three-bay shop, it'd probably be on my list. But between my workbench, the tire trailer, the Miata, and my wife's car my 1.85-car garage is filled beyond capacity already.

Don't even suggest asking the wife to park outside - I already get enough grief for having the Civic parked in the driveway!

Iain "If I converted the kitchen into shop space, do you think my wife would get mad?" Peebles
Old 10-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Zeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just bought two rear OEM S02s today from this Discount Tire. Al said that the shipping and handling was not free, and charged $7 a wheel for balancing. He said this was the deal he had worked out - is this true?

Anyway, I did get the tires at TireRack prices and ended up paying about $375 (extra $16 for certificates in case they blowout or something). Does this sound too high?
Old 10-02-2002, 05:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Zeo
So I just bought two rear OEM S02s today from this Discount Tire. Al said that the shipping and handling was not free, and charged $7 a wheel for balancing. He said this was the deal he had worked out - is this true?

Anyway, I did get the tires at TireRack prices and ended up paying about $375 (extra $16 for certificates in case they blowout or something). Does this sound too high?
Are you sure that these are S2000 OEM S02s? I thought the TireRack was the ONLY place to get those. If they had them in stock, I would bet that they are regular S02 Pole Positions.

Quick Reply: New North Texas Club Sponsor - Discount Tire, Plano