Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

One License Plate Legislation

Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One License Plate Legislation

I'm cross posting to all the Texas groups, since this is a statewide issue. Mods, if there is a problem, please let me know. I'm just trying to spread the word!

Anyway, a lot of you, if not all of you, are anti-front license plate. I don't have one on my car, and I don't know any other s2000 owner who has one on the front. I am sure there are some, who just don't need the hassle of being pulled over by police, have one mounted. Well, I am here to update you, and will keep you updated on legislation making its way through the 2013 Texas Legislature.

Here is the bill as it is written:
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the number of license plates to be issued for and
displayed on motor vehicles.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter A, Chapter 504, Transportation Code,
is amended by adding Section 504.011 to read as follows:
Sec. 504.011. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a)
Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, the
department shall issue only one license plate for attachment at the
rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued.
(b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, a
person is entitled to operate on a public highway a vehicle that
displays only one license plate if the plate is attached at the rear
of the vehicle. A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle
that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the
department for the registration period as a set of plates.
(c) In any provision of this code that relates to the
issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of
plates," the term means only one license plate.

SECTION 2. Section 504.943, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (b) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a
public highway during a registration period a passenger car, light
truck
, road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does
not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the
period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the
placement of license plates.
(e) In this section, "light truck" and "passenger car" have
the meanings assigned by Section 541.201.

SECTION 3. The change in law made by this Act regarding the
issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of Motor
Vehicles applies only to the issuance of license plates by the
department for a registration period beginning on or after the
effective date of this Act.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.
As you can see, if this gets to the governor's desk for his signature, it will be effective on September 1, 2013.

Now, some of you might say, "what's so special about this?" This kind of bill gets authored every session, and nothing happens. Yes, that is true. Ever since I moved here, this has been one of my pet projects. Every legislative session, these bills go to die.

This year, it has some traction, and this bill has gone further than in years past. This bill made it to a committee hearing! The author of this bill sits on the transportation committee, and was able to have it heard. It was heard on March 12. It was left pending in committee (no vote was taken). However, I was watching the committee hearing online (I wanted to go, but had other commitments), and from what I saw/heard, it received positive reviews from members of the committee. Of course, the majority of people who were there to testify against it were representing law enforcement/cities throughout the state (only one person spoke, the others were registered as against the bill). The only other person who was against it, represented the 3M company (I guess they know they will lose some $$ if this passes). Sadly, nobody showed up to speak in favor of the bill. But, members of the committee indicated they had a lot of e-mails and phone calls expressing support for passage of the bill.

If you want to make your voice heard, and you are on Facebook, please contact George Lavender, he is the author of this bill, and as you can see on there, I am the only person pushing for this on his Facebook page. He doesn't represent my district (he's from Texarkana), but he does respond. If you don't use Facebook, his e-mail address should be district1.lavender@house.state.tx.us (the local rep from Pearland/Alvin has an email address of district29.thompson@house.state.tx.us). Or, find out your house representative and write them, asking them to support HB 657.

In the house committee meeting, the author brought up that this bill can save the state about $6 million per year.

LEGISLATIVE BUDGET BOARD
Austin, Texas

FISCAL NOTE, 83RD LEGISLATIVE REGULAR SESSION

March 11, 2013

TO:
Honorable Larry Phillips, Chair, House Committee On Transportation

Ursula Parks, Director, Legislative Budget Board

IN RE:
HB657 by Lavender (Relating to the number of license plates to be issued for and displayed on motor vehicles.), As Introduced

Estimated Two-year Net Impact to General Revenue Related Funds for HB657, As Introduced: an impact of $0 through the biennium ending August 31, 2015.

The bill would make no appropriation but could provide the legal basis for an appropriation of funds to implement the provisions of the bill.

General Revenue-Related Funds, Five-Year Impact:

Fiscal Year Probable Net Positive/(Negative) Impact to General Revenue Related Funds
2014 $0
2015 $0
2016 $0
2017 $0
2018 $0

All Funds, Five-Year Impact:

Fiscal Year Probable Savings/(Cost) from
State Highway Fund
2014 $6,091,756
2015 $6,183,132
2016 $6,275,879
2017 $6,370,018
2018 $6,465,568

Fiscal Analysis

The bill would amend the Transportation Cod to require the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued. The bill would specify that any provision of the Transportation Code that relates to the issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of plates," means only one license plate.

The bill would take effect on September 1, 2013.

Methodology

The DMV reports that the provisions of the bill would result in a savings to the State Highway Fund due to a reduction in the number of plates that would need to be manufactured under the provisions of the bill. The agency reports that a total of 8,262,146 plates were manufactured in fiscal year 2012. Assuming an annual growth rate of 1.5 percent in the number of plates manufactured, approximately 8,511,870 plates would be manufactured in fiscal year 2014 under the current two-plate issuance requirement and 4,255,935 plates (or half the amount) would be manufactured under the provisions of the bill. For the purposes of this analysis, it is assumed the number of plates manufactured would increase by 1.5 percent each year thereafter.

The DMV reports that the current unit costs to manufacture license plates are currently $1.60 for general issue plates, $1.69 for specialty one/two-color plates, and $1.88 for specialty three/four color plates. The DMV estimates that the unit cost will increase by approximately 11 percent due to the distribution of certain fixed overhead costs over fewer plates manufactured. Under the current laws and unit costs, the DMV estimates plate manufacturing costs for approximately 8.5 million plates would be $13,715,071 in fiscal year 2014. Under the provisions of the bill and estimated new unit costs, the DMV estimates plate manufacturing costs for approximately 4.25 million plates would be $7,623,315 resulting in savings of $6,091,756 beginning in fiscal year 2014. It is assumed the amount of savings would continue each year thereafter at an annual growth rate of 1.5 percent based on the projected growth in the number of plates manufactured each year.

Based on the information provided by the DMV, is assumed any costs or duties associated with implementing the provisions of the bill could be absorbed within existing resources.

Local Government Impact

No fiscal implication to units of local government is anticipated.

Source Agencies:
608 Department of Motor Vehicles
LBB Staff:
UP, AG, MW, TG
As of now, the bill is still considered pending. They were supposed to vote on it in the committee to send it to the full house, but skipped over it. I hope something happens with the bill on Tuesday morning - the next Transportation Committee meeting.

The bill can't become law unless there is a companion bill in the senate. Right now there is no companion. If this passes the house, it would be possible for a companion to be authored in the senate. When that happens, I will update you. It has a harder chance of passing the senate compared to the house.

Please feel free to share this post to others who are interested.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As much as I hate the requirement for front license plates, I believe the "fiscal savings" mentioned in this bill are total BS. If there wasn't a requirement to have a front plate, I wouldn't have paid $550 in fines to Plano, Frisco, and McKinney over the last few yesrs. I also wouldn't have paid $400 (additional) for personalized plates. If the bill isn't going to even mention lost revenue, I can't imagine it succeeding.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gernby
As much as I hate the requirement for front license plates, I believe the "fiscal savings" mentioned in this bill are total BS. If there wasn't a requirement to have a front plate, I wouldn't have paid $550 in fines to Plano, Frisco, and McKinney over the last few yesrs. I also wouldn't have paid $400 (additional) for personalized plates. If the bill isn't going to even mention lost revenue, I can't imagine it succeeding.
The fiscal savings are for manufacturing and supply costs, not including any fines. As for the personalized plates, I have no idea how that's affected.

BTW, people have reported citations for no front plate, and have had them dismissed with a $10 administrative fee. Most people seem to put a plate back on to avoid paying the high price of tickets.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's hoping it gets signed.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Thanks for sharing this!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by photog72
The fiscal savings are for manufacturing and supply costs, not including any fines. As for the personalized plates, I have no idea how that's affected.

BTW, people have reported citations for no front plate, and have had them dismissed with a $10 administrative fee. Most people seem to put a plate back on to avoid paying the high price of tickets.
I understand that the "savings" were specific to the Highway Fund, but the section below was definitely NOT related to manufacturing cost. It's totally bullshit.

For whatever reason, the decision to allow a ticket to be a "Fix It" ticket is made by the police officer at the time of citation. If he decides to to check the "Fix It" box, then the $10 dismissal is not an option.

Fiscal Year Probable Net Positive/(Negative) Impact to General Revenue Related Funds
2014 $0
2015 $0
2016 $0
2017 $0
2018 $0
Old 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Here's hoping it gets signed.
+1 for that. I actually have a front plate on my s2k...would be nice to throw it away.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM

I hope this gets signed as well. There are quite a few vehicles (brand new even) that do not have a front license plate. Some police officers care while other dont. I've brought up this subject with quite a few friends of mine who are police officers for Dallas, Arlington, and Fort Worth and they pretty much summarized it down to...... "Ahhh it just depends on how the officer feels at that time in the day". Most officers could care less.

I suppose it's just being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they need/want a reason to pull you over, currently, not having a front plate is a good one for them!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM

haha yes no kidding

Quick Reply: One License Plate Legislation