Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Which one is next?

Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall you've already owned a Subaru, so you know what to expect. I'm a big fan of the MS3 after selling one to typesh. But since your wife is leading your decision the non-performance variants will be what you are purchasing. Get the Subie. Doesn't the WRX come in AT?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, Yes, I did have a Baja Turbo and I hated the lag for the turbo to kick in; it made me uneasy pulling out into traffic instead of more confident. While the Baja did speak volumes about the quality (which was excellent and rock solid), I wouldn't say it had any real performance with it. Had I know now back then, I could have replaced the tires, got stiffer sway bars, gotten a bigger turbo, and replaced the exhaust. Life lessons.

I looked into the WRX and the problem I have with it is the fuel, blasted premium. Actually, I don't mind the gas, it is the gas prices.

I logged into Consumer Reports and the VW Rabbit (I know, I know, queer name) but on paper, it looks like it has pretty good stats.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM

they are being let go real cheap because they are overstocked with them.. the lowest ive actually heard of them letting them go for is 20k.. the average is around 22k.. trust me.. its a buyers market and they will sell dirt cheap to you.. and if you go to the right place.. they might even discount some of the accessories for you
Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 AM

autos are a little more
Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Rabbit? Ugh. Gti Five door maybe, not the Rabbit! LOL I'd rather have a Fit than the Rabbit! But then again I'd rather have the Fit over a lot of vehicles....

Not too many choices for Sporty 5 doors. Let's see:

Audi A3, VW Gti (DSG), Subaru WRX, Mazda MS3, Dodge Caliber SRT, Mini Clubman S/JCW, Chevy HHR SS

Anything Else?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Ford Edge SVT ! that's a sporty 4dr right?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM

hahahaha, yeah at least financially better decisions than Chevy or Dodge.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Okay, so I've driven a subie impreza (felt solid) but kind of lacks creature features and today I test drove the rabit on a 20 minute drive and I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed and surprised. It feels like a solid car and the econobox I expected based on the rabbit my high school girlfriend had. The stereo/10 speakers in the 4 door model sound really nice, the seats are very supportive and the side bolsters are great. The down side is the lack of steering wheel controls or things such as blue tooth. They may be available on the upscale but they weren't available on the bunny. I need to go and drive the Mazda3 again as I've forgotten how it drove. The Mazda3 seems to have more bells and whistles than the Subie and the bunny but nothing that couldn't be done without? I guess that is the under lying question

Those of you who knock the bunny, you may want to take another look. Consumer Reports gave it the highest ratings of the cars I'm evaluating.

Comments welcomed...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:13 PM

you should go with mazdaspeed3 imo.
the new wrx looks just ugly to drive =P
I've had a '06 sti, and wrxs have far less potential than the stis, so I just cant compare the two. For your budget range I think mazdaspeed3 will give you enough power and smile.
I have cx-7 right now, which has same engine+turbo with the speed3, and the car pulls and sounds good. speed3 has way less weight than the cx7, so I'm sure you'll be happy with its powerband.

What color are you going for? I think you should go with red if you're getting the 3.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by unethikl,Jun 8 2009, 01:13 PM
you should go with mazdaspeed3 imo.
the new wrx looks just ugly to drive =P
I've had a '06 sti, and wrxs have far less potential than the stis, so I just cant compare the two. For your budget range I think mazdaspeed3 will give you enough power and smile.
I have cx-7 right now, which has same engine+turbo with the speed3, and the car pulls and sounds good. speed3 has way less weight than the cx7, so I'm sure you'll be happy with its powerband.

What color are you going for? I think you should go with red if you're getting the 3.
Unless I'm mistaken, the speed is only available in a stick shift and the wife can't drive a stick so autos are the only choices... bummer I know, but that is why they call it life.

Quick Reply: Which one is next?