Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Possibly moving to Dallas

Old 10-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possibly moving to Dallas

Hey all,
Not sure if i even have this posted in the right area due to Texas being a huge state. Anyways like the topic say i may be moving to Dallas in about a year. Originally from Ohio but i currently live in Hawaii. Wondering if anyone in that area knows how the car laws are. Right now i have my 00' S2k i plan on bringing with me. Its the standard lowered S tucking 17x9 rims with a 255 tire. The tires fit in the wheel wells with out having to be hella flush though. Also I have a bit of bolt on work done like fuel exhaust, new fuel system and its supercharged along with a lot of other goodies. Im justing wondering how the area is as far as Safety checks, Emissions, Carb, and Ect. Any and all info on this will be greatly appreciated about the area and the car laws. Thank you all in advance and maybe see some of you at meets next year.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM

texas is pretty lax in my 15 years of experience getting cars inspected. as long as no CEL and obd2 intact you should be good.

i go to hawaii every summer and usually see a few S's, hows the scene out there?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:57 PM

hmmm do they use a OBD reader on the car? I'm using AEM EMS so an OBD reader will not work on my car. The scene out here is huge. not just for s2000 but imports in general. The S2ki groupe is decent size but there is a lot more S2000's that are not on S2ki
Old 10-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awww I see you wife got to close to the car in front of her and bent the front license plate too.

Or at least that's what I'm telling the cops if they ever stop me
Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by AP1EM1
hmmm do they use a OBD reader on the car? I'm using AEM EMS so an OBD reader will not work on my car. The scene out here is huge. not just for s2000 but imports in general. The S2ki groupe is decent size but there is a lot more S2000's that are not on S2ki
ahh... that will be a problem unless you can find a hookup. in my experience these guys want to do as little work as possible. texas doesn't give a shit about suspension/wheel/aero mods. you'll probably have a harder time passing with 20% tint on your side windows than with a greddy turbo kit and open downpipe.

most places will probably check all the lights, run it around the block at most, hook it up to the scanner and make sure the codes havent recently be reset and that's it. no mirror to look for a cat, no popping open the hood. no carb number bullshit.

i have heard of guys putting the car back to stock obd2 ECU for a day and getting it inspected then switching it right back. i'm sure that is a little more involved, but i'm sure it is worth it to bring your S.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 PM

Wait we have emissions in Texas!?!? Lol! But really, they just hook the obd2 port and if your cel is off your good to go! Unless, you have a blatantly obvious infraction like limo tint or bald tires, etc... I can point you to some more "lenient" shops if it is a huge deal and they will pass you for a couple bucks. Im not sure how ap1's work with Kpro but Kpro allows users to pass emissions tests unlike the AEM.

Also, we have a pretty good sized and active s community in the DFW area - Dallas and Ft. Worth are ~1 hour apart and are essentially 2 different regions in close proximity...
Old 10-10-2014, 09:07 PM

Sweet, sounds like ill be able to work something out. This car is a garage queen most of the time. I'm ready to get her off this island. If i cant get it registered there ill keep it registered out of state or something. I've had to register a few of my cars in Ohio before when i lived in a strict emissions county. If all goes good ill be joining the S community in your area here next year.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 PM

So is all going well?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 PM

Yeah its official ill be coming to live in the Dallas area. My S is on a ship somewhere in the middle of the Pacific ocean right now though. I should be getting to Dallas in mid July.
Also i just registered my car back in my home state of Ohio. So i can avoid any emission or safety time checks i would have to do in Texas. Look forward to meeting some of the other S2000 owners in the area!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 AM

Awesome! Welcome! You should try to get here for the 4th of July if you can, I'm not sure how Ohio does it, but there are several top fireworks shows in dfw (especially this year with NO BURN BAN! thanks to massive flooding).

Quick Reply: Possibly moving to Dallas