Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Tom's Turbine Drive - Sunday April 6th

Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tom's Turbine Drive - Sunday April 6th

**Note This drive will take place on Sunday, April 6th**

The landscape around my area is going to change very soon. Texas Power and Light is currently working on putting up 75 wind turbines to create power for North Texas. I want everybody to come out to my area to enjoy the area before before they are built. Later this summer when they are built, we can do a before and after comparison just for the sake of driving.

So the drive starts in Denton, Texas at Good Eats just off Loop 288. Please have at least 3/4 a tank of gas BEFORE you get to Good Eats. We will set off at promptly 10:00am so don't be late. When we leave with will go through Krum, Texas to see some great ranch houses in the area. We will continue on through Era, Forestburg, and St. Jo. North of St. Jo is where the turbines are being built. We should be able to see the construction of the bases for the turbines.

You will get to see the Red River which separates Texas and Oklahoma. The river is actually red colored because of the soil. If anybody wants to use a 3 mile straight downhill road to test their rides between Texas and Oklahoma we can. There is virtually no traffic on these roads because of the rural nature of the area. We will then make our way back through St. Jo and do a quick double back on FM 677.

We will finish with what I think is the best 5 miles of road in Texas on FM 373 towards Muenster! It is my favorite road to drive on! When we get to Muenster, you will be able to sample German food and beer at the Center Restaurant and Tavern!

There will be some S2KCA Members joining the drive and I have extended the invitation to you. So far we have 11 drivers interested in coming. This should be a good turnout hope you can make it to this drive, it should be 102 miles of fun!

Here is the starting point.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geoc...25&ie=UTF8&z=16

To see who is coming over there and to see the map of where we are going and some pre-drive scouting pictures please visit this thread
http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=22197
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Wink

Looks like a very nice drive.
I have to check with the other half first before I can commit.

edit: removed google map - go to tom's link to view
Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM

The drive is a bit longer and doesn't travel across 82 from st. jo to muenster. Your points A to C are correct. To see the full route please click the link going to S2KCA. There you will see the full map and some sample pictures taken this winter. I didn't post the route because Mr. Temming doesn't want that information out.

This route is good because it is going through very low population areas. Something that most of you won't be used to. It should be a great time for you city folk! Just ask MoZo how fun the first part until FM 922 was from the Ray Roberts Drive a week ago.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:38 PM

If you haven't visited the link, Tom posted some pictures of the "predrive" and looks like fun!

Tom, I noticed some people may be bringing their kids. Does this mean the run will be comfortable paced for the most part or will it be aggressive driving?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM

He isn't coming anymore. As for the pace, we will wait at all stop signs before setting off again to not leave anybody behind Drive at your pace...what is safe for you. This is a good thing to keep in mind. http://tsba.org/pace.html
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Tomauto,

Sounds like a great drive and the weather should be perfect. I really want to make this but it looks unlikely at this point due to my travel schedule.

Take Care,
Old 04-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks David! Sorry you can't make it. I will have another one in May for sure.

I really like this route and it should be a great time for anybody who is free on a Sunday!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill still be in break-in. D'oh! Plus I wouldn't your little roadsters holding me up if I was on my bike....Sounds fun though! Take Pics!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 PM

wow looks good.... i'll probably go if there's more s2ki members that is going to this event

Quick Reply: Tom's Turbine Drive - Sunday April 6th