S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/texas-north-texas-s2000-owners-10/)
-   -   Track Day Misconceptions and Truths (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/texas-north-texas-s2000-owners-10/track-day-misconceptions-truths-994798/)

davidnyc 12-11-2012 04:43 PM

Track Day Misconceptions and Truths

Misconception #1=> My S2000 needs this mod, that mod and then I can track it.
Truth=> Most S2000 need only good brake pads and fluid for the first few novice events. As long as you have appropriate maintenance items (safe tires at appropriate pressures), oil changes, fluids changed regularly, etc. your car is ready. Once you advance to higher groups, other items may be necessary (safety, suspension, etc.)

Misconception #2=> I am afraid my car/me will get totaled. (Updated)
Truth=> Well technically, this is true, but there is also risk with just driving on the street. Most HPDE incidents are when someone drives their car beyond the limits of the car and/or their talent and/or conditions (rain, slick track, etc.). If you are wise enough to only drive within your limits, risk is minimized. However, there is potential risk from track oil down, someone losing their brakes and hitting you or possibly spinning out in front of you. (Rare, but can happen)

Misconception #3=> Track driving is expensive.
Truth#1=> After I did what I consider baseline safety for my speeds that I do on the track (Harddog roll bar, race seats, good brake pads etc.), I spend about $100 a year on maintenance for my car. Smooth tracks like MSR do not wear tires as much (I am on my same set of RS3 that I bought in 2010 and have about 5/32 left on them, but I do not daily my car). Granted, I save a TON by tracking free as an instructor, but a typical fun track year can cost you about $1000 all year = $300 for pads + 4 track days @ approx. $200.
Truth #2=> HOWEVER, once you do start going faster it does become MUCH more expensive.

Added:
Misconception #4=> I am going racing.
No, you are not. You are driving at an elevated pace on a race track, but you are NOT racing. Even if you dice it up with a friend (which I do not suggest unless at advance/instructor level) that is STILL not racing. Even if you time yourself, you are not racing.

My point is that it is good to at least come out and watch one event or participate in one event before making your decision. Track days ARE NOT for everyone. I just push them so much because I do think it makes me a safer driver on the street, I can get out all of my stupidity in a safe environment and they are just plain fun!

CosmosMpower 12-12-2012 05:56 AM

Good write up but in regards to #2 to say that there is the same or less risk as driving on the street isn't quite true. You are more likely to have an incident on track with someone dumping oil, coolant or losing control driving beyond their limits in that environment and taking you out as an innocent bystander. Additionally it will be difficult to get your totaled car covered under your insurance policy if you ball it up on track vs on the public roads. I'd venture some of the younger group bought their S2000's with a loan and can't really afford to walk away from the car if they total it on track.

s2ks2000 12-12-2012 06:33 AM

@ davidnyc

:thumbup:

turbosix 12-12-2012 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower (Post 22205378)
Good write up but in regards to #2 to say that there is the same or less risk as driving on the street isn't quite true. You are more likely to have an incident on track with someone dumping oil, coolant or losing control driving beyond their limits in that environment and taking you out as an innocent bystander. Additionally it will be difficult to get your totaled car covered under your insurance policy if you ball it up on track vs on the public roads. I'd venture some of the younger group bought their S2000's with a loan and can't really afford to walk away from the car if they total it on track.

i disagree

i am surrounded by f@#king morons every day driving to and from work that couldn't give two shits about their car (tire pressure? what's that?) and are only concerned about instagramming some bird while driving and maybe getting to work on time.

i constantly have to avoid shitty inattentive drivers every single day driving around town.

at least in my experiences on the track, everyone there likes their car. they don't want to break it and ruin their day. they're sure as shit not texting and they are paying attention. yes, they may drive over their limit, but instructors and track crew pull that noose pretty quickly.

i do agree on the insurance thing and though. that sucks and you might want to overlook it if your license plates happen to fall off when you get to the track.

CosmosMpower 12-12-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by turbosix (Post 22205635)

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1355324199' post='22205378

i disagree

i am surrounded by f@#king morons every day driving to and from work that couldn't give two shits about their car (tire pressure? what's that?) and are only concerned about instagramming some bird while driving and maybe getting to work on time.

i constantly have to avoid shitty inattentive drivers every single day driving around town.

at least in my experiences on the track, everyone there likes their car. they don't want to break it and ruin their day. they're sure as shit not texting and they are paying attention. yes, they may drive over their limit, but instructors and track crew pull that noose pretty quickly.

i do agree on the insurance thing and though. that sucks and you might want to overlook it if your license plates happen to fall off when you get to the track.

I guarantee you there are more offs and near misses at the track than in day to day driving per miles driven. This was from a casual toy run event this past weekend, just one afternoon and captured by one photog. I had that same mini Nascar looking thing spin off the track right in front of me and a Diasio track car went off the longest straight at ECR going 100+ mph right in front of me as well.

When people drive their cars hard and get competitive accidents can happen. It's wishful thinking to believe everyone will drive within their own limits on the track all the time. You start chasing a car that should be much faster and get a bit over excited and push the limits and all of a sudden you could be backwards into a tire wall before you know it. The OP who is an experienced driver even admits that part of his motivation is to be able to drive his car hard in a non public environment.

Simple proof is insurance rates. It costs me 1/5 as much to insure my car for an entire MONTH on the street as it does for a 2 day DE event. Nearly every track event I've been to someone has gone off and damaged their car to some extent even if only minor.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-E...DSC_6187-L.jpg

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-E...DSC_6168-L.jpg

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-E...DSC_5944-M.jpg

davidnyc 12-12-2012 07:50 AM

No matter the activity (driving to work or on the track) there is just a level of risk that you have to take the appropriate precautions, if possible. On the track, those guys drove beyond their limit and sadly potentially could of damaged your car, but I know of times just driving to work that something similar (albeit not at speeds over 80) that someone potentially could of damaged my car (or vice versa, I make mistakes driving on the street also).

BUT, just like the risk of driving to work, I am not going to not drive or highly alter my schedule because of the daily risk. Also, for track days, I do not think this risk is enough to stop me from doing track days.

CosmosMpower 12-12-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by davidnyc (Post 22205727)
No matter the activity (driving to work or on the track) there is just a level of risk that you have to take the appropriate precautions, if possible. On the track, those guys drove beyond their limit and sadly potentially could of damaged your car, but I know of times just driving to work that something similar (albeit not at speeds over 80) that someone potentially could of damaged my car (or vice versa, I make mistakes driving on the street also).

BUT, just like the risk of driving to work, I am not going to not drive or highly alter my schedule because of the daily risk. Also, for track days, I do not think this risk is enough to stop me from doing track days.

Completely agree there is risk in both arenas but to say that the risk on the track is the same or less on the street is pretty crazy to me. Most experienced track guys I know have a common saying which is "Don't take a car to the track if you can't afford to wad it up and walk away". If you can accept that risk then that will make your experience a whole lot more fun. If the car is your only car and you are making payments on it or are upside down, I would feel pretty uneasy since you don't have a safety net of insurance covering your loss at a DE these days (unless you bought separate DE insurance at $$$).

davidnyc 12-12-2012 09:37 AM

Point taken and I agree.

I think what I was trying to get at, is that HPDE is far less risky than racing which people equate HPDE's to. I should just state that HPDE's do have more risk than "normal" street driving but has less risk than racing.

CosmosMpower 12-12-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by davidnyc (Post 22206017)
Point taken and I agree.

I think what I was trying to get at, is that HPDE is far less risky than racing which people equate HPDE's to. I should just state that HPDE's do have more risk than "normal" street driving but has less risk than racing.

Absolutely. And that's not to say that newbies shouldn't try a track day. If you are smart and responsible you can have fun and go home in one piece but there are no guarantees.

davidnyc 12-12-2012 01:52 PM

Updated #2 and added #4