Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Track events

Old 12-16-2000, 08:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

At out last dinner, we talked about three different types of activities: Regular social dinners, driving days, and track events.

About track events, somebody mentioned being able to rent the Mineral Wells site during a weekday for cheap. If we could do that, would anybody be interested in, not a timed track event, but sort of a get-to-know-the-car event? As in, set up a course/skidpad far away from any obstacle in which the point is to take the car/driver to its limit. This would be a great learning experience to find out just what we can do with the cars, to get a sense of "If the car feels like this, I'm getting close to spinning out, so if I do this it'll be all right." I have plenty of practice going around a track at a decent pace, but I'm nowhere near being able to really Go Fast. I don't feel I could really do that until I have more experience at the limit - otherwise, I run the risk of going over the limit and not knowing what to do. Which can be very dangerous on a road course like TWS. Mineral Wells' flat expanse of asphalt, on the other hand, can provide a safe environment to explore our cars. Of course, this is a bit more dangerous than a regular autocross, so I don't know what sort of insurance would be required, and we'd have to be sure nobody gets crazy and hurts their car, their self, or somebody else's car.

This could be a great opportunity for people to learn how to stay away from snap oversteer, to lean what to do when the back end steps out some, how much countersteering is needed, that sort of thing.

Another possibility is to show up en masse to some other club's autocross and compare notes/times.

Comments?
Old 12-17-2000, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great idea although I would suggest the club layout a course / pad / activities. Our experience with free for alls does justify a little concern. How do we get started?
Old 12-17-2000, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess the first thing is I need to call the guy that manages the track and see what the availability is. I know that most if not all weekends will be taken up.
The last time I rented the track I paid $75 and they set up the cones and took them down. If we get serious about this let me know and I will make the call.
Like Mark said the track has lots of wide open spaces with nothing to hit.
Old 12-17-2000, 05:02 PM

I was invisioning a simple track of a single 180 degree decreasing radius turn with a four or five cone slalom at either end. This could also be run backwards for an increasing radius turn.

We'd need:
1) Track
2) Cones (supplied by track?)
3) Chalk to mark cones
4) Red flag or two
5) Firebottles
6) Insurance
7) Waiver forms

Of those last three, I don't know what's required by law or the site and what's simply a good idea. A $20 entry fee, on par with other clubs' events, would help some. Timing gear won't be necesary, I think.

How much interest is there?
Old 12-17-2000, 05:10 PM

You can make red flags.
And I might be able to get waiver forms.
Insurance and firebottles??
The club will probably have to buy firebottles.
Old 12-17-2000, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been to Mineral Wells since 93 or 94 I think, for a SCCA Solo II Super Regional Event. Its a helluva drive out to the sticks out there. Worth it? I can't say I remember much. I drove up there with a few fellows, blew up one car and had to borrow some guy's truck and trailer and haul it all the way back to Houston for repairs.

Its got a lot of space! That is for sure!

But no timing? Not even just to test? I would like to at least get some skill building exercises if I were to make the treck. Also, a g-tech would be a nice little addition.
Old 12-18-2000, 03:29 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I'd love to get out and test myself and car. I think we should try and get our hands on some timing devices also.

Just curious, how easy is it to flip this car in a high speed turn, given this cirtian track? I wouldn't guess it to be too easy but does anyone know?

BTW, the longer in advance that we set up a time the better the chances that I can get the day off work.
Old 12-18-2000, 07:34 PM

Sure, if we can get some timing equipemt, that'd be nice. I'm a little concerned about the cost, though - hmm, I guess we should put together a budget if we're going to do this. At the least, we can do handheld stopwatches. I've never heard of a car flipping out there, and I've seen plenty of spin outs. It's quite flat, although the sections that are hardly ever used are vegetated and much rougher.

Oh, radios to talk with the corner workers could be nice too. If people have family band radios, we can cover that. I have one.
Old 12-19-2000, 05:53 AM

I just wanted to say that I'm interested given no scheduling conflicts. I also encourage others just reading to post their interest to help the people budgeting and planning. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the equipment mentioned to contribute. Let me know if I can help in other ways.

Will helmets be required. I'm in the process of buying one but might not have it for this event.

Will
Old 12-21-2000, 07:59 PM

Count me in. I'll make a few inquiries of my SCCA/PCA friends to see if they have any timing gear, flags, radios, etc. There are some good buys on Motorola 14 channel radios right now. Would be nice for group drives too.

Stefan

Quick Reply: Track events