Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Website Review

Old 01-17-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Website Review

Howdy everyone! Before I release the new version of www.ezellaviation.com to the public I want to get some feedback and test it with traffic.

New Ezell Aviation Website

Its is all coded with XHTML Strict and CSS. This really helped clean up the code from the current version and thus made the site faster. I have tried to make it up to date, clean, simple to navigate, and flow well with the Red Bull project since that is our major attraction.

I would appreciate a review and any suggestions!

Kevin
Old 01-17-2006, 09:30 AM

Ok, here's my input...

" P-38 Update. " " P-38 Photos" ect ect. The first bit of text after the photo seem to be describing the text that's about to come, so should it be a header of some sort... (or even an "ALT" to the image, then have different images for update photos, update general, ect). Might help get a better "overview" by just looking real quick through the front page.

The W3C link at the bottom (the image) has a link border... take it off. There is transparency in the image so having a border around it looks... off. Personally, I would add a css tag to take the link border off any images. Also, I would consider setting that image over to the right to help balance out the copyright notice on the left. Also a space between the 6 and the | in "
Old 01-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up

Wow that was awesome! Thank you very much!!! Now let me go through and either explain or ask for more clarification...

[QUOTE]" P-38 Update. " " P-38 Photos" ect ect.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

One of the things I saw that kinda stuck out was that the page opens at the "News" page. One of the most common internet links is a "home" page, yet this site does not have one. The news page is the home page, just not called that. Personally, I think "news" should be a link to click from the "home" page.

I won't go through all the pages because there are too many, but a general spell check should do the trick for you.
On the news page, "continuously" is misspelled.
On the sales page 'availability' is misspelled
On Company Profile page, I believe micro film should be one word.

"Location" link should be re-named to indicate it has contact information also. Perhaps something like "Contact Us" or "Contact/Location"

"Profile" link could be renamed to "About Us" which seems to be more intuitive about what is contained within that page.

"Past" link is not intuitive either. How about "Past Projects?" When i go in there, I'm not crazy about the three blue boxes with links to each project. One, because it's too busy and as a user, it seemed like there was just too many to look at. Secondly, because I can scroll down and see them w/o using the blue boxes with links.

I might also mention that many of your links do not look like links until you mouse over them... You may consider doing this.

Also, you may make the links change color after visiting them so a user has foot prints of where he's been.

"Location" link, I would re-arrange the wording so it's easier to read. It is too spaced out. For example:

PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
622 CR 150 #311
Stephens County Airport
Breckenridge, Texas 76424

GPS COORDINATES: 32
Old 01-17-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by nivek2002,Jan 17 2006, 01:50 PM
Are you talking about on the front index page? That little "P-38 Update" image? Something to note is that very few of our visitors dont know what they are looking at. The warbird community is very close knit and usually 1-2 days after I post up new pictures we get a wave of visitors checking them out. But I will consider making the front page more informative
Well, I was talking about the text after the pictures. It seemed like you have a small "description text" after the picture on each line... why not just make a small descriptive picture for each one?

Originally Posted by nivek2002,Jan 17 2006, 01:50 PM
Alright! I found a quick and easy CSS code to take the borders off, its a DUH type simple lol. So is it better? And yes, thanks for reminding me about the line in the footer.
NP, yes looks better (Although, you still might want to set that picture to float right)

Here's thing that I also think would improve the looks:
in your "basiclayout.css" file to the #footer section add:
Code:
overflow: auto;
then in the "#footer p" section add:
Code:
float: left;
then add a new section:
Code:
 #footer img{ float: right; padding: 5px; }
then in the footer change the HTML for the final [CODE]<div id="footer">
Old 01-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Hey man take a look at This page so you can see the footer, and an idea for the top links...

If you like it view the source, then go view the CSS pages.

You'll notice that nav2,3 and 4 were all the same so I removed 3 and 4, changed the id="blahblah3" to class="blahblah" and removed the 2,3,4 from the things... if that doesn't make sense take a look at it...

I also took the h1 out of the list... so stuff would orient properly...

(and you need alt tags on your images to pass W3C test)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and corrections Tx! I have applied most of them. I set that narrow width early in development and have now corrected it to be much wider.

Doug,

First, What I had in mind for the P-38 Update image on the home page was something similar to Fark.com. They have little graphics to help you discern what that particular news item is about. I only added it today and may end up taking it off before release. I will eventually work in some photos on the home page and alot more text about each update.

The footer code you provided looks GREAT! Much better and balanced. THANKS!

And about the PHP, the hosting service we have is one level below PHP support. But I will keep your code in mind when I design another site that supports it.

I am still not fully understanding what you mean about the banner on P-38. If you are refering to how the image changes to incorporate the Flying Bulls logo yes I intend for that to change to signify you are in the P-38 portion of the site, the #1 reason people come to the site.

Yall are the best!! I have posted this on a couple other forums and they are no where near as helpful.

BTW what do you do for a living Doug? Are you in web design?

Kevin
Old 01-17-2006, 12:57 PM

Interesting! My next door neighbor is a retired USAF pilot and currently an FAA airworthiness certification officer. I'm going to tell him to take a look at your website.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I was talking about the P-38 image... I don't know.. something about a changing header kinda urks at me... but hey, odds are it won't bother 99.9999% of the visitors to your site so....

The "p38 udpate" graphic would look better if that text were left justified... when you center the text the image shifts all over the page and messes with the balance of it all. If you're going to have more than 1 type of update then I would go ahead and keep it, maybe lose the text afterwards because the image says "P38 Update" and then the text says it. For a photos update you could use that image and then maybe another small "Camera" image to signify it's a "Photos update"... make any sense?

I do programming, but I am wanting to learn how to design sites better... one of my ex's that I'm still friends with use to do the site designs for UNT so she's quite helpful for this stuff when I have a question.

As you can tell my site is NOT compliant... but most are minor issues that I just don't care to fix right now...

Glad I could help and delay my working for a bit
-Doug
Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 PM

Ok, I have no clue what I was talking about with the "center aligned"... it's the indent that I was talking about... *blonde moment*... now if only I were blonde....

On edit: my friend thinks I should have used the same blue for the background for the dates as I did in the link bars up top... I explained that the darker blue in the "latest news" section was too "heavy" but the lighter blue in the link bar was too light next to the dark dark blue beside it... you may want to play with some colors.

Personally, I think if you were to incorporate those colors into your site more, then it would balance out internally.

I think when she gets some free time she's gunna take a look at it and give me some feedback and I'll let ya know.

She also said that the text in the link bars should align left. She thought the two lower bar's text dissapeared into the links above them... I like it centered personally, just passing the message along

Quick Reply: Website Review