UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Vibration from rear end under acceleration

Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration from rear end under acceleration

Good evening,

Car has developed a vibration from the rear end, starting to get worse.

Around town and below 4k all seems fine, however when you start accelerating over 4k you can feel and hear a vibration from the back end. It's at is worse when accelerating in 4th, 5th and 6th over 4k, vibrating through the whole rev range, although it can also be felt in 2nd and 3rd when knocking the revs right up towards and through vtec. If you come off the throttle it seems to stop, however going back on the throttle it starts to vibrate again.

I'm not a mechanic and have very little idea about anything drivetrain wise. Engine feels fine, gearbox is sweet so my head is saying diff.

What do you think? Any idea on the damage to my wallet?

Russ.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM

Worn inner CVs. Plenty of threads on it
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Si is talking about the inner CV joints that connect the driveshafts to the differential.
FWIW, the drivetrain goes engine, gearbox, prop shaft, diff, driveshafts, rear wheels.

Swapping the inner CVs round sometimes works, as can adding driveshaft spacers. Both are relatively simple, with the former being the cheapest. Any garage with half an ounce of experience should be able to do either for you.

If you want more info and to see some photos, have a search as Si suggested.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by loftust
Si is talking about the inner CV joints that connect the driveshafts to the differential.
FWIW, the drivetrain goes engine, gearbox, prop shaft, diff, driveshafts, rear wheels.

Swapping the inner CVs round sometimes works, as can adding driveshaft spacers. Both are relatively simple, with the former being the cheapest. Any garage with half an ounce of experience should be able to do either for you.

If you want more info and to see some photos, have a search as Si suggested.
Brilliant, thanks for taking the time to explain. I've had a little search and can see its fairly common.

How does swapping them around fix the issue? Would both not be worn? Is it a case of swapping first and judging the damage to them when out?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM

they wear pits into one face of the cv cup. Swapping them puts them in "backwards" which means you're using a fresh face, rather than the pitted one.

It'll come back eventually - but not until you've done similar miles.

I put in drive shaft spacers when I lowered the car and it solved the vibration completely.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM

I'm getting similar vibrations. My diff mounts are fooked however, so I'm changing them first. If the problem is still there I'll swap my drive shafts.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russy01
This old chestnut keeps turning up, I know you have searched but these pics will give an idea of the problem.

s2ki.com/s2000/topic/241367-inner-cv-joint-swap-diy-with-pics/

I live near Retford, Notts so if you are close,ish and want to know how to do the swap, we could meet and I will detail the proceedure with you.

Lee
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a pretty simple to swop them round. mine was horrendous when i bought the car, not supprising when i saw the damage. 76k miles at this point

Old 01-19-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

God i have been stripping my drive shafts today and was looking at the wear marks which seem more like just light polish as apposed to the troughs in those, still swapping while II am at it ( 71K ) I am using Titan Race CV grease , its only £47 for 500gms must have liquid gold in it but as the shaft are in the region of £1200 each its not a great deal really in the great scheme of things
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM

Cheers for the replies. When the snow lifts ill go about getting it fixed, its not very pleasant to drive at the moment.

What's the damage on new cv joints? If I'm going to be taking the old ones out to swap I'd rather chuck new ones in and be done with it if they aren't too expensive.

My car is only on 50k which seems quite young?

Quick Reply: Vibration from rear end under acceleration