UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Hullavington Airfield Track Day - Noise Limit!

Old 11-29-2002, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hullavington Airfield Track Day - Noise Limit!

Just received this in an email...

"The strict rule at Hullavington is 100 Db dB(A) at 0.5 metres and at 3/4 of maximum revs, if you have doubts about conforming to this please contact us asap. This rule will be enforced rigidly, so if you have any doubts either consider adding extra silencing or do not come. There will be noise testing for everyone prior to track driving commencing. Please note that we do not allow any race or competition cars to participate only cars which are currently road legal."

How do I know whether my car exceeds "100 Db dB(A) at 0.5 metres and at 3/4 of maximum revs" ??!! I have no idea what this means in practical terms

Pete
Old 11-29-2002, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, I've heard your car, I'd be surprised if it was above 100db - it's louder than stock, but I don't think it's more than 100db.
My racecar was under Castle Combe's 96db silenced test day limit and it's quite loud.

They have a microphone which they place 0.5m away from the exhaust and get you to rev to 3/4 of maximum (in our case about 6800 or so) - they they take a noise reading.

Are your exhausts repackable?
Old 11-29-2002, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by MarkB
Pete, I've heard your car, I'd be surprised if it was above 100db - it's louder than stock, but I don't think it's more than 100db. My racecar was under Castle Combe's 96db silenced test day limit and it's quite loud.
Phew! Thanks Mark; that's a relief!!

Originally posted by MarkB
Are your exhausts repackable?
Not unless Maca kept the cardboard boxes they came in
Old 11-29-2002, 04:44 AM

This was the reason I PMed you about noise limits after the Academy Day, Pete - to see whether you had had any difficulties with exeeding them. I remembered seeing it referred to in the Motorsport Events FAQs and did wonder, before I decided to get my HKS fitted, whether it would affect the noise levels for the Hullavington day.

Sounds like they either didn't bother to check at Upper Heyford, or they have different noise level restrictions in operation?

Ah well, at least if you get black-flagged next Friday, you won't be alone and I will be joining you in the spectators' area!
Old 11-29-2002, 05:31 AM

Sounds like they either didn't bother to check at Upper Heyford,[/B]
No, they didn't. Mind you, it was a HUGE airfield with no buildings for miles
Old 11-29-2002, 06:07 AM
R33

I failed my fair share of noise tests in my Skyline at track days. I used to put my cat back in and that usually got it down under 100dba.

My mates Alfa failed the noise regs at Brands before a race so I put a mesh over the exhaust end and filled the back box with wire wool. Passed the noise test but blew the engine in the race, don't know if it was the increased back pressure or just the quality Italian engine! But probably not worth giving that one a try if you fail the limits Pete
Old 11-29-2002, 06:10 AM

BTW, anyone know what usually happens about the entry fee if you fail the test? Obviously you can't take part on the day, but do you get a refund? I feel a quick trip to the Motorsport Events FAQ coming on........
Old 11-29-2002, 06:39 AM

Help! Do we need to worry about this? I had just assumed that I'd be OK 'cos many of you guys have done this before and we all have kind of the same car?!
Old 11-29-2002, 06:46 AM

JUles, rest easy; you will be OK. The problem is because Mark T and I have non-standard exhaust systems.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:13 AM

100 db is loud, especially for a road car. It's only when you start putting race exhausts on cars and bikes where this becomes an issue.
I don't think the HKS is so loud as to go above 100db, and the stock exhaust is definitely well under.

Quick Reply: Hullavington Airfield Track Day - Noise Limit!