UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

****ing sidelights

Old 02-03-2017, 12:50 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts
Default ****ing sidelights

Reminded ( again ) why i hate cars with the headlight access in the wings. New ones ordered, the ones i ordered that fall out when you try and fit them are in the number plate lights for the Aygo and my bleeding hands are soaking in warm water trying to pick bits of archliner out of them. Perhaps i'll wash it next weekend instead.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe this is why the French used to wrap their cars around a poplar tree after lunch, before any servicing was needed.

Mind you, trying to change the NSX's side lights from the wrong side (due to corroded screws) did result in some claret, too.

And about 3 attempts to adjust the pop-up lights not to dazzle once I refitted them.

How is it Honda's suppliers can make an incandescent lamp that lasts over a decade, when no-one else can?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 AM

That's the problem when they get older and stuff needs doing - your Prelude paid the price for that sin
Old 02-03-2017, 08:30 AM

Yeah, there comes a point where an everyday car needs too much doing to it - especially when the tin-worm starts and it is essentially a write-off.

Best to move on.

Which is in itself problematical; a modern LED light cluster is more expensive to replace than the one bullet lamp in a sidelight and probably needs a laptop an OBD2 to talk to the car.

Fortunately, designs as ancient as NSXs and S2000s are very spanner/hammer-friendly.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:06 AM

Funny thing .... 2 minutes in the daylight, bit of heat on the plastic liner and the clips and job jobbed. Dunno when they failed, could have been / must have been months ago
Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 AM

Yup - plastic isn't at this time of year.

I've to replace one of those tiny blubs in the Leg End's HVAC buttons (bring back knobs - they're tactile. And whoever thought of touchscreen ones should be killed) and I'm not attempting to prise apart the centre console until it's warmer.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 AM

Ha - indeed. Risking a thermonuclear type explosion of a billion pieces of what was your console Only did these because MOT man wittered at me about them - no point giving plod an excuse ....
Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine haven't worked since september, every time i think i should replace the bulbs i stare at the inner wheel arch and think maybe later... :P
Old 02-06-2017, 06:27 AM

All you need to remove is the two clips above and to the right of each wheel on the arch edge and the one in the inner liner just in front of the centre of each tyre - they they pop down and you can just about get a hand in. As long as it's not freezing / dark / pissing it down, it's 2 minutes work and as i started years ago, refit with the sidelights on and it helps you line the sidelight back into its housing
Old 02-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
All you need to remove is the two clips above and to the right of each wheel on the arch edge and the one in the inner liner just in front of the centre of each tyre - they they pop down and you can just about get a hand in. As long as it's not freezing / dark / pissing it down, it's 2 minutes work and as i started years ago, refit with the sidelights on and it helps you line the sidelight back into its housing
+1
Followed UF's advice for this a couple of years ago to put LED sidelights in and it's a simple job. The tip about switching the lights on to replace the holder works a treat.

Quick Reply: ****ing sidelights