UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

2002 Honda S2000 Engine Rebuild

Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm afraid I would feel very uncomfortable if that was my engine.7 thou off the block and was it 2 thou off the head?it must have had some serious overheating issues to produce that kind of distortion.I think Chippo is right about the liners,hence the reason that not many stock engine rebuilds are successful in this contry.

The only way to get an engine built properly if the liners are damaged is to have them sleeved,Darton or Benson or something like.I the the stock liners will take a light honing but not much more.Were/are you in a position to see the removed liner?

I don't want to cast aspersions but how much evidence do you have that the work has been carried out?After all the engine is still running rough.

The reason I'm suspicious is ive had an engine rebuilt recently and it actually runs worse now than it did before the rebuild.I am going to have it rebuilt but will be replacing every single moving part inside the engine and will be having the already sleeved block honed or re-bored.

I feel sorry that you've been taken in if indeed that is the case but if you had posted up on here before you did anything I feel sure you would have been advised to get a replacement engine.

Good luck with it and I hope that I am wrong in my suspicions.

New clutch April 2013, flywheel bolts July 2015.ive had my engine gearbox out quite a few times,I also had 4 clutches on the car in various shapes or formes,I've still got the original Flywheel bolts from when the car was new......should I be worried?

I may well be completely wrong here but in order to change the flywheel bolts the engine gearbox need splitting,which presumably took place whilst the block was being skimmed,I cannot see any reason to replace the flywheel bolts unles they were either x threaded or they are stretch bolts.....if they are stretch bolts both myself and My tuner have goofed by not replacing them.I would need to know the reason why and ask more probing questions about the other work.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanx18
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Am totally new to all this and yes sk4tony it is a route I have taken and fingers crossed it will work out. Money wasted I hope not! Before the rebuild I had issues with miss firing on various cylinders (according to the diagnostics checks) and was always told the coil packs needed replacing. I did this with genuine used ones which didn't work. I got some new after market ones which are in there now but am still finding the same issues again. The parts I have replaced so far are as follows: Radiator Sept 2013 Clutch April 2013 Oil Seals April 2014 Water Pump April 2014 Coil Packs Aug 2014 Spark Plugs Aug 2014 Injector O Rings Jan 2015 Piston Rings June 2015 Cylinder 3 Liner June 2015 Block face skimmed (7 thou) June 2015 Cylinder Head Skimmed (2 thou) June 2015 Gasket Set June 2015 Oil Pressure Switch June 2015 Spark Plugs June 2015 Knock Sensor July 2015 Flywheel Bolts July 2015 New Engine Oil July 2015 Oil Filter July 2015 Drop Link July 2015 During Aug 2014 till now the car was hardly ever used
Sounds like Triggers broom...
Old 07-18-2015, 03:45 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like his wallet's been taken for a ride.
Replaced ONE liner? Errr.....
Old 07-18-2015, 03:45 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like his wallet's been taken for a ride.
Replaced ONE liner? Errr.....
Old 07-18-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

The OEM bore lining , that's what it is a lining , not a liner, is precast with the FRM in this part . these liners are then cast into the complete block in a separate casting process , not sure how, sounds all very high tech . So how the hell can you remove and replace one ? Love to know and why do people scrap blocks, all over the show due to scoring ! And are FRM liners shown as a Honda spare part , I think not .

I would guess you have been bent over and royally shafted .

I am still after a cheap scored block so I can start a very slow rebuild and have dry Darton Liners fitted for when my existing lump goes bang as I am sure it will some day .
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
The OEM bore lining , that's what it is a lining , not a liner, is precast with the FRM in this part . these liners are then cast into the complete block in a separate casting process , not sure how, sounds all very high tech . So how the hell can you remove and replace one ? Love to know and why do people scrap blocks, all over the show due to scoring ! And are FRM liners shown as a Honda spare part , I think not . I would guess you have been bent over and royally shafted . I am still after a cheap scored block so I can start a very slow rebuild and have dry Darton Liners fitted for when my existing lump goes bang as I am sure it will some day .
That's exactly what I plan on having done in the future Chippo.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 AM

I used to have the car in Cyprus (I lived there for over 3 years) and this is where I experienced over heating but this only happened a hand full of times.

I was recommended this garage through people on this site as I wanted to make sure I was taking the car to someone local who knew their stuff. He apparently had an S2000 not so long ago and did a lot of work himself including rebuilding the engine. he did take pictures of the work whilst carrying it out and I will post them up soon.

It would be great to find someone on here that could come and see the car and advise me moving forward as I would hate to think that I could have been 'shafted'. I am still waiting for a reply from the garage and am hoping he will arrange to have the car picked up and take it to be looked at again.

Ran the engine again yesterday and in addition to having the same issues I noticed the fuel was leaking from the injectors. I had this issue prior to taking the car to the garage but got it fixed by replacing the O rings on all 4.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanx18
Ran the engine again yesterday and in addition to having the same issues I noticed the fuel was leaking from the injectors. I had this issue prior to taking the car to the garage but got it fixed by replacing the O rings on all 4.
That is more than likely the cause of the running issue.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No way has this fella been shafted by Leon at jps. This is a honest garage that have built some crazy machines including fully built f20 engines. I was talking to the owner of the turbo s2k and he couldn't
Praise jps enough..... I know Mr Pitts got royaly shafted across the pond but not all garages are the same.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 AM

The F20C bores present much trouble with the rebuild. A good condition bore will look glazed and you should see NO crosshatching at all.

The only reason to re-hone the bores is down to scoring:

Even then you can only take 0.25mm out of the wall before it becomes U/S.

The idea is that the bores last forever. The FRM is extremely hard and it's the rings that are designed to wear and then be replaced.

Quick Reply: 2002 Honda S2000 Engine Rebuild