UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

2002 Honda S2000 Engine Rebuild

Old 07-21-2015, 04:20 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Yep, the honing pattern on FRM's is far finer than a standard iron liner - it's normal for them to look glazed. Okay, you say he's not been shaft - might be right, we've only heard one side, crossed wires on the work perhaps - but are you really telling me he's bored out replaced one single liner with iron?
Old 07-21-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Dosent sound right to me just sorting out just one cylinder liner, JPS has some good reviews plus some negitives last i knew he messed with supras
Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I'm saying Buggy is let's not start slating a company thats been around for years going on second hand information.many of you probably haven't even heard of jps before now? I've spoken to Leon about the frm liners before and he said to me that he's used darton sleeves in the turbo s2k I mentioned above..... This was at santapod when I seen him and he took the time to talk to me even tho he was busy working on his supra which then went down the track n the 7's.....
Old 07-21-2015, 05:28 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

It's not another of those threads where because someone's car goes down the dragstrip fast they must also be perfect businessmen too is it?

Do you not think it's reasonable to question something when apparently (Again, maybe not, maybe crossed wires, but I assume he's been billed for it) one liner has been replaced?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:39 AM

No not at all i just said that because he builds his own engines buggy which he races with so he probably knows a thing or two.... I doubt there's a company in the world without a negative review?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard back from JPS shortly after my last post and arranged for a mechanic to come round and look into the issue. True to their word someone came round this evening.

When he looked at the seals around the fuel injectors one was split, he replaced all rings and stopped the leakage. Turning the car over it was still miss firing, with the engine light on, so ran a diagnostic check and it flagged up miss fire on cylinder 1. Checked all the spark plugs which were fine, and then checked the coil packs. From running the engine and slightly lifting each, he found that one of the packs was causing the miss fire. As I had a set of spares he replaced the faulty one with one of the spares and the engine ran fine. Left it running for a good 20 minutes and no sound of miss firing or the engine light coming on.

Finally after months of waiting got to take it for a good drive and it ran perfectly!!! Appreciate everyone's comments, as I have certainly learnt a great deal. So far I cannot fault the service of JPS, and appreciate their work so far, especially giving me a car I can finally use.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:26 AM

After getting the car back in July I drove it for a couple hundred miles but it started miss firing so Leon sent one of guys round who had to replace some of seals around the injectors as they had split and it seemed to be ok. After a few days the car started miss firing again and Leon said it had to be the coil packs, so I purchased some more used genuine ones and replaced them but the problem kept on persisting. I got one of my friends round to take a look and he checked the packs and plugs and he said all was fine, but when he checked the wiring it turns out that this was frayed near one of the injector connecters so we stripped this back, soldered and tapped it back up and the car was running perfectly.

After about 700 miles with no issues the engine developed a prominent ticking noise (this was located to the left of the engine close to the heat guard). It was there when the car first started up in the morning and even when the engine was at temp. It was louder any time I use the accelerator, so I called Leon and was told to bring it in. I thought it might be the TCT or it needed a valve adjustment so he took a look at both. He told me the valve clearances were fine, it wasn't the TCT and he changed the oil but the noise was still there when I picked it up. When I call him back to tell him he said as he couldn't find any issues he said that it must be a problem with one of the pistons and it will need changing. He seems to think it is Piston No 2 that needs replacing.

When asked what work that would entail he said it would be like stripping the engine down again and would cost a further £1,400!!!! New piston, new gasket etc. plus labour........!!!! I wonder if these sorts of things should have been looked into when the engine rebuild was taking place? and if I should be liable for these problems of not?! After all I did part with the best part of £3,500 for it to be done and to have an engine which is in perfect running order. I have emailed Leon asking exactly what parts it would need and how long will it take but he is yet to get back to me.

In the mean time I have not been driving the car as it is too noisy. I am reluctant to part with any more money to be honest and wonder if I have just been amazingly unlucky!!!!

Anyone who could give their feedback about this or pointers on where to go from here would be appreciated. Also if there is anyone on the forum who might be in the Luton area at some point that could give me their opinion on this issue that would be perfect.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it had been me( and I've goofed in the past so I'm no expert)I would not change one of anything,weather that's Pistons shells Conrods valve springs or sleeves.I would either throw the engine away or replace everything as a set with no exception.Thats what he should have done,after all you paid £3.5k which is what I expect to pay for my rebuild and I am supplying all the parts.

Your in a catch 22 situation,I would seriously consider scrapping what you've got and get a replacement.Its a hard decision to take but judging by the work he has supposedly carried out I wouldn't let him touch a lawnmower of mine.Don't give him anymore money,tell him either to put right what he was supposed to have done in the first place which he was paid for.Or walk away and get yourself a replacement engine.

Sorry to be so harsh but this has the potential of becoming a serious money pit that at the end of the day still won't be right.

I got stung by somebody with a good reputation and I trusted.....I'm now around $20.000 out of pocket and still no closer to having the engine I paid for.....Good luck.

There are some really handy and knowledgeable people on here,Daytona Dave for example who has worked on all sorts( although the cock is moaning about working on mine)including high end race cars and he will say the same about fitting a full set of parts rather than singles which potentially could have different weights/density which will cause a whole lot of other issues.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:12 PM

Sean don't part with any more money, Leon needs to give you the money back so you can take it some where else to fix it. As far as the law is concerned surely you have rights as you
Didn't get what you paid for?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 PM

Thanks for your feedback Mr Pitts. Sounds like you have been in these situations before. Definitely trying to get as much as I can from here and your right there are some very knowledgeable people. Will try and contact Dave to see what his thoughts are as he seems to know his stuff.

Cheers also Carbon, and no didn't get what I paid for. I did email Leon about the issues and that I feel as though I shouldn't have to pay for these issues as I have have paid enough to have an engine that runs and he has asked me to pop the car round to have a chat about it. Will def stand my ground on this one as I could have just bought another second hand one for that kind of £££! Think asking for the money back would be a long shot but worth a try.