UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Insurance and Legal Owner Question

Old 02-28-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance and Legal Owner Question

Hello,

I note my insurance allows me to drive cars not owned by me. If my name is on the V5 for our S2000, is that what they will take as ownership? It is insured by my wife but I am trying to work out if I need to change the V5 into her name (and put another owner on) just so i can drive it occasionally and to track days.I guess this also applies to the police if I get pulled.

Last edited by SiDHEaD; 02-28-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: change wording
Old 02-28-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

What you will need to keep in mind is that even though your insurance permits you to drive cars not belonging to you, which is fine for being legal on the road, its more than likely you will only be covered for the minimum legal requirement (at best Third Party Only). You'll have to decide whether that's enough for your pride and joy if you do have an incident.
Generally speaking, the insurer will be interested in who is the main user of the vehicle, rather than who's name is on the V5. Although the name on the V5 does give a strong indication of who this is. If your wife is the owner and main driver and you want to use it only for occasionally why not just get yourself added as a named driver to her policy so you get the full benefit of the cover provided ?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:02 PM

Hello. The car is just a trackday rough and ready, so happy for 3rd party only. Having me as a named driver put the insurance up from £250 to £700 (14yrs NCB). This is a bit mad as I insure both our A45 and CLA45 with wife as named driver and they are £500 and £350 respectively.

I guess i should just transfer the V5 really.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

May be look into a classic car policy for the S only
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

^^ indeed. I insure my Sc'd MCB 3rd Party now (as it's mostly a track car now) for around

Last edited by CynicG; 03-01-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2000
What you will need to keep in mind is that even though your insurance permits you to drive cars not belonging to you, which is fine for being legal on the road, its more than likely you will only be covered for the minimum legal requirement (at best Third Party Only). You'll have to decide whether that's enough for your pride and joy if you do have an incident.
Generally speaking, the insurer will be interested in who is the main user of the vehicle, rather than who's name is on the V5. Although the name on the V5 does give a strong indication of who this is. If your wife is the owner and main driver and you want to use it only for occasionally why not just get yourself added as a named driver to her policy so you get the full benefit of the cover provided ?
I have a business insurance policy with Admiral and they cover me to drive cars not belonging to me with business. I always thought it was 3rd party but I have confirmation from admiral this isn't the case.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefifth
I have a business insurance policy with Admiral and they cover me to drive cars not belonging to me with business. I always thought it was 3rd party but I have confirmation from admiral this isn't the case.
Do they know you track it Mike?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure you can't use the third party cover to drive your spouce's car probably as it's half your car anyway.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mdb_75
I'm pretty sure you can't use the third party cover to drive your spouce's car probably as it's half your car anyway.
This sounds problematic. Might have to swap it for something else
Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mdb_75
I've never heard that before at all. Marriage is irrelevant. Either it's the insured party's car (ownership is irrelevant apart from to the insurers who use that info to price it etc), and the insured party's driving it on their insurance, or someone else is driving it. If someone else is driving it, they have to either be a named driver on the insured party's insurance, or have coverage through their own insurance (usually this is either non-existent, or 3rd party only). Simple as that.

In your case, you're not the insured party. If your covered 3rd party for cars other than the one you're insured on, then the ownership is irrelevant.

Last edited by chrispayze; 03-01-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Insurance and Legal Owner Question