UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

3 things I want to do

Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took the lid off the other day, it sounded good but the car felt abit bogged down at lower revs, so i put the lid back on!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 AM

Well that clears that up then.... airbox staying on.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Boab01,Mar 6 2007, 10:07 AM
Okay so I've had it almost a year and I love it, but

There are 3 things that bug my about my s well actually 2 but they lead to doing 3 things.

1. The brakes, They are soft and feel spongy and don't really feel like they are stopping the car, I'd like to fix this with some new disks, pads and calipers.

2. The noise, it's just not meaty enough ! I'd like to replace bits of the exhaust and air intake/induction. I don't want to lose any power but then again I don't care much about gaining.

I love driving but I know absolutely shag all about modding/working on cars

so I have 3 questions

Do I need to wait until my warranty runs out (fair enough if you ask me)?

With a budget of about 1500 quid what can/should I do? (first!)

Are there any businesses in Scotland (pref east/northeast that) do such things and are trustworthy? I'm afraid of trying to do this myself!
1. If your brakes feel soft, spongy and don't inspire confidence, then the first thing i would do is take you car back to the dealer and get them to check them under warranty. For road driving, the standard brakes are pretty damn good so if they don't feel good then i would get them checked as a first port of call before you start upgrading.

When you've had them checked, i'd look to upgrade in stages. Ie change the pads and the fluid first and then see what the effect is. For road driving, i'd suggest leaving the discs alone as the only real benefit you'll get from upgraded discs is better cooling. it won't change pedal feel or stopping power, particularly if you upgrade your pads. Pad wise, i recommend ferodo DS2500. They work from cold, give you a definate improvement in stopping power, and work right up until the discs are red hot

2. Exhaust wise i can't help but chilled's comments are valid.

Warranty wise, if you only change pads and fluid i don't think you'll have any problems with the warranty unless the warranty claim you want to make is brake related. Exhausts and intakes potentially get you into a different situation because they are very visible mods. If your engine blows, you might (and i stress might) have problems claiming if honda take it upon themselves to decide that your blow up is related to the mods you've made.

My car is in warranty, and i changed pads (initally porterfield r4s and when they wore out after one trackday and 7k miles i changed to ferodo and think they are much better)and did a trackday within 1000 miles of buying the car.

I now need new discs because mine are warped after trackday number 2 (i am hard on brakes) but my dealer has offered to skim them under warranty. I've got some spoon drilled ones to fit, but i'll put them on before my next trackday and then probably swap them back to the originals before the car goes back in for its next service.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard,

So you use ferodo's front and back?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 AM

Currently got Ferodos on the front and portefields on the back because they've still got plenty of life in them. It was the fronts that wore out really quickly. Rears don't seem to make as much difference as long as they are hard enough to to not fade and disintegrate when the got like the oem ones do when you upgrade the fronts.

There was a massive difference in stopping power and pedal feel though when i just changed the fronts from Porterfields to Ferodo's.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 AM

Just been on the phone to SSE and after about 30 mins we thought

the reason for the feeling on the brakes is because I'm used to heavily solenoidy feeling on cars that I've been driving, basically german cars.

Provisionally we've come up with the following that will come into my budget (just don't tell the wife).

Stainless steel ended hoses
Spoon front pads
Spoon air scoop thingy
Spoon Airfilter
HKS Hi Power 409 Exhaust w/o decat

Seem reasonable?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:17 AM

Buying all the spoon stuff is expensive......

If it was me wanting those upgrades i'd go for:

braided stainless hoses
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Spoon air scoop or similar
Standard air filter
HKS exhaust as above (but only because i don't know any better)
Old 03-06-2007, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boab01,Mar 6 2007, 10:38 AM
any jocks out there that know somewhere I could get such things done?
No where that I know - none of us have modded our S's much, except Kenny (Saxoboy) who I think did his himself mostly.

Simple brakes and bolt on intake/exhaust stuff any decent indie should be able to do though.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by euan,Mar 6 2007, 05:27 AM
No where that I know - none of us have modded our S's much, except Kenny (Saxoboy) who I think did his himself mostly.
Ant (SSEL) Reccomended Dicksons in Dunblane only in that he's sold them some kit before. I'm not about to be the one to find out if they are any good.

I'm waiting to see what they come back with though.

In the end we've agreed to do

HKS Hi Power Stainless steel exhaust w/o decat
Spoon AirFilter
Spoon Scoop thingy
Hoses and Fluid for Brakes

Leave the front pads as I can do that any time locally.

I'm also really shocked that there's only one Jock putting mods on, am I really a ricer at heart? I can't stand MaxPower, I hate techno music and I really despise the 'cruising' scene.

I feel dirty!!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from the exhaust, the mods you're doing are barely noticeable to the casual observer, therefore not Max Power.

I got my dealer to do the hoses, pads and fluid. Not particularly cheap, but they'll do it.

Quick Reply: 3 things I want to do