UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

87,000 Miles Young?

Old 06-07-2017, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87,000 Miles Young?

Hi All,

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

Been thinking about joining the ranks of S2K ownership for over a year now and have found this site very useful. I have settled on the dream, at 04-06 GT Moonrock Grey with Red/Black interior, looking for about 60k on the clock. So was just a case of waiting for the perfect one to come up.

I think that may have just happened, the right color and all in original condition except the wheels which have been painted black. Also come with hard top stand and covers for both the top and the car. The advert claims she has been well cared for with 12 Honda stamps, regular oils checks (no oil needed). The catch is that she has 87,000 miles on the clock and is listed at £10,449. I am nervous about buying a high miler but have seen a lot of talk on here about it being more important to look at history than mileage, so if i take a look what am I looking for in the maintenance history (timing chain ect) to ensure she wont let me down after 10,000 miles.

Only thing i have noticed in the pictures is the red paint is flaking off the valve cover, is this something that can be easily refurbished? I have also seen some posts about rear arch rust and that the only way to tell is to shove a camera under there, can this be done on the ground or will it need to be jacked up? The advert claims the passenger side arch has just been re-built, what are the chances that the driver side will require the same?

Any thoughts on the car or price welcome. Looking for something I can treasure and have as a weekend queen.

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited by SamWidge; 06-07-2017 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Missed info
Old 06-07-2017, 02:51 AM

Hi Sam,

I personally wouldn't worry about that mileage, have a read up on the timing chain tensioner as there are loads of posts that explain checking better than I can, or ideally take someone else along who knows what to listen out for, they do make a reasonable amount of valve-train noise but it should sound smooth when warm.

As for checking rust the arches tend to rust from the inside out so you'd really need to remove the boot carpet on the left and right hand side and try and take some pictures. While your in there check if there's a puddle under the tool kit as I've bought 2 S2000's a 2002 non GT and a 2006 GT that had the hardtop on most of the year and both had water in the boot, not an issue if you catch it early.

Some surface rust on the subframes and wishbones is nothing to worry about, although proof of a recent alignment would be ideal as the adjusters can seize, again do some reading as it's a pig of a job to put right.

Other than that just the usual used car stuff, like matching decent tyres (if they've tried to save money here, where else have they?), MOT history etc etc.

They're generally very reliable and it's just age related stuff like seizing calipers etc that seem to pop up as common issues.

As for that example painted wheels and a rusty arch at that age would personally put me off as my 02 didn't have any rust at all when I sold it last year.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:06 AM

Okay thanks for the advise. I have already seen posts about the alignment bolts so will make sure that is on my radar.

I am interested why you say the painted wheels would put you off? Is this personal taste or because they could be hiding something?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:15 AM

Just personal taste, if the car was fine other than that I probably wouldn't let it sway me but 10k is a fair amount to spend, the S2000 has developed a bit of a following that has driven prices up - I'd want to be completely happy with it for that money, again all IMO!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!

Thanks for looking at the ad, I think I am the owner of the car in question!

Also thank you for pointing out the mileage - I made a typo... It should have read 83100 not 87100 the photo showing milage was taken at the weekend. I have just updated the details.

Happy to answer any questions you might have. I have all receipts and the rust work was undertaken at Roberts motor bodies in sheffield. Their work has been very good.

The rocker cover is in need of a refubish. There are a few folk on here who offer the service as well as a guy on Facebook (although his name alludes me at the moment!).

The car had an alignment with a previous owner. I am actually heading to Daytona autos on Saturday to get it checked over again.

I have loved having the car have spent a lot of time and money on the car to get it in the condition it sits in at the moment. 2 things I would do if I could keep... The steering wheel could do with a retrim (RobinA3) provides a great service and also the rocker cover as also mentioned. But the time has come to sell, we have just had our 12 week scan (which is exciting in itself) and so unfortunately a more sensible car has to be purchased. I'm actually selling both our cars to get a larger 4 door. I do however, hope to be able to get back into an S in the future.

As I say, if you have any questions, feel free to post, PM or call.

Thanks

Last edited by gav86; 06-07-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just my two penneth worth OP, but it sounds like this has been well looked after and it is in the colour you want with the correct interior... And moreover the seller is an S2Ki member! I don't think there's much not to like. Unfortunately any 11 year old car is going to have 11 year old car problems (especially as it's Japenese - tinworm!) But as others have said the S2000 has built a bit of a cult following and prices aren't really moving. You need to really want one and need to want to part with whatever you are happy paying for the car that is "the one for you". 10k is a lot of money to spend on anything, hell it's nearly a deposit for a house... But if it's absolutely the car you want then I think you've already justified it to yourself. If you're still unsure my advice would be to keep looking. I bought my 02 for £5k in Feb with FHSH and 98k on the clock; but it needs work doing to it, like the alignment bolts. Now, I entered ownership knowing at that price, i'd end up spending a few quid in the first year to get it perfect and that's something i'm happy to swallow. I'd suggest you need to try and take the same outlook, if you can.

Just my opinion of course

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

What model year is this car? (Not the registration year.) The MY06 cars are DBW (drive by wire) and the ECU can be tuned (via Hondata FlashPRO) to provide much more mid range power without compromising reliability. There is some controversy regarding the UK cars and FlashPRO but local experience notes it works. The non-DBW cars require an aftermarket ECU or piggy back ECU to accomplish this. Once you drive this car with a bit more power you won't want to go back.

-- Chuck
Old 06-07-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an MY04, facelift, pre drive by wire model...