UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

advice re: rear arch rust

Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice re: rear arch rust

Hi, I've got a small area of paint bubbling/rust on the rear arches of my S2K, the following being a pic of one side...

I've got a couple of quotes to sort it, one being £370 which would involve grinding the metal down and welding any pinholes, and the other quote is to cut the section out and put new metal in, which is £400. In my ignorance I thought it would be a couple of hundred quid when I bought the car as I factored this into the negotiation. However bearing in mind its a little more expensive this puts me off a little.

If I keep on top of it with anti rust treatment, is this generally the type of thing that would get worse anyway and would people recommend just biting the bullet and paying to get it sorted? The patches aren't really that noticible at the moment and don't bother me too much, but obviously if it starts spreading it would.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whether you do it now or later doesn't really matter, as long as you do it properly, cut it out and weld new bits in. Any other fix means it'll just come back.

The longer you wait the bigger the replacement bit might need to be, but then if it turns up 20cm away as well you might be able to do the whole arch in one go.

If you can see it coming through like on yours it means its worse underneath, as that's where it comes from.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a replacement wing on there. It's quite common for the paint to lift off new panels and then you get water in there and the rust starts -rather than it happening the other way around.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM

My car is at a body shop at the minute having one of the rear arches fixed at a cost of £700. I left it for about 18 months after the rust first started to show through, I can't believe how quickly the rust ate through it. Speaking from experience I'd get it done asap and get it done properly - i.e. remove any metal that shows any sign of rusting. I bought a rear quarter off another car to use as an arch repair panel, although this turned out to be full of filler and was already starting to go through in the same place yours is.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I'll get it sorted asap
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 AM

Further to this, what's the general consensus in relation to removing the rubber arch liners- do they cause more problems by collecting all the dirt and am I better off removing them?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Either remove permanently, or remove, clean, fill with waxoyl or similar and replace (regularly).
Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Removing the rubber liner was the first thing I did... it happens on all the Honda's.

The amount of dirt and grime it traps is no good. Remove and clean you will see how much it stores.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Remove, mine held water and crap. Poor design
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Looks like they'll be coming off then. Thanks again

Quick Reply: advice re: rear arch rust