UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice REQ - Rear Quarter/Sill issues

Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Advice REQ - Rear Quarter/Sill issues

Afternoon,

Seems my car has had a new rear quarter panel at some point in its life, just not done particulary well. On Sunday I spent a good portion of the day removing the rear bumper, sanding and cutting back any rust, treating, and undersealing. (Bilt Hamber products, quite effective!) Most of the issue were around dodgy spot welds but those have now all been dealt with.

Issue remains with the following;

The elements under the bumper were fine, as I cut/treated them correctly but they are effectively out of sight and mostly surface. This portion of the car is plainly visible, so unsure as how to tackle it in the best way possible. Evidently the rust is attacking the seam where the rear quarter meets the sill. At some point I will replace the rear quarter panel completely, but that won't be for another year at least. I was thinking along the lines of;

Sanding back the seam and bubbles.
Drilling the inevitable rust spots out.
Dissolve the remaining rust with some Deox Gel.
Applying Hydrate 80 to cure the remaing corrosion.
Filler as required. (Or weld the spots?)
Apply Zinc Etch Primer.
Get a chap to come and do a spot/smart repair as that element of the car should pass muster.
Zap all the sills and chassis legs with a rust inhibiting wax. (Deox UB?)

It's a shame as the rest of the car is relatively spotless, its just received a poor repair to that area.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That repair is awful. How people pay for repairs like this is beyond me, they haven't even finished flatting the filler!! . The join is completely made of filler (where the seam SHOULD be) on that repair then just had the line ''cut'' back into it. You could sand it all off but i guarantee there will be some horrors underneath. A new quarter panel is not necessary if you put it in the hands of a capable bodyshop. TBH if it was me i would save myself the hassle and wait until i could get it sorted properly.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you?

A friend of mine (doctor mx5) is very good at sorting these sorts of problems out - properly.

A new quarter is definitely not required...

I'd also recommend clearing your hood drains...this is likely to be the cause of the issue.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-25-2013, 11:42 AM

You should see where the rear quarter meets the top of the boot drainage channel. Obviously a tricky weld, so Fibreglass!

Loftust - I am in South Wales, where about is your chap? All the drains are already sorted, I've attended to everything else that I can but that dodgy repair is the only thing remaining.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car's had that panel replaced on the same side as yours. The rust's not as bad though it's just visible on that sill seam.

I spotted it when I bought the car. When I got it home I stripped out the boot trims, the trims behind the passenger seat, over the sill and I took all of the sill plugs/grommets out. I then used a compressor and sprayed loads of waxoyl in everywhere that I could to try and cover the whole inside of the new panel and sill to stop any more rust. It hasn't got any worse yet in three years.
The following users liked this post:
ttonyfatb (03-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Found these chaps;

Alsa Automotive

Word is they typically have quite a backlog of work, but that works for me asI take the car off the road come October.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's near Winchester...a bit of a trek, but at least you'd see some sunshine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2