UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice on selling S2000 GT

Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on selling S2000 GT

Hi,
I've come to the decision to sell my s2000 if I buy a new house. I won't post the car here as I know that's not cool, not being a fully fledged member but it is up for sale on Autotrader and has been for about 10 days. I thought as soon as I pressed the 'sell' button my phone would be off the hook. It's just coming into Spring and the weather has been decent so thought evermore so that things were in my favour, but sadly not.

What's actually going on? Are there few buyers for these cars given the regular guy/girl is just turning to a cheaper alternative of a summer runner such as an MX5?

Is it the colour of my car, Nurby blue, that people don't quite like given it's a bit marmite? Is it the fact it's a GT but I don't have the roof? At 78k on the clock I put this up at nine grand which I thought was a decent price given there's not another AP2 this cheap for 50 miles around (mines an 05).

If I don't get the right price I won't sell either as it will inevitably break my heart to release this back into the wild as well as me needing to buy another car anyway wouldn't likely leave much if I accepted bottom dollar for it

Any ideas, advice, tips? If I need an education, tell me. I'm not as clued up as most folks on here so just hit me with it

Cheers
Old 04-12-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

First of it's not an AP2.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The S2000 is not a hugely "popular" car... as in, it's not widely know by the general populous, so generally buyers know what they're looking for. As such, it takes time to sell one for the right price. At 9K for the car, I can't comment on if it's too high, others will have a better view... if you think it's not getting views, the perhaps the price is too high?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Thanks jayok. That's sort of reassuring actually. 9k is definitely being cheeky I'll admit, but I still assumed someone would come in to knock me down. Never the less its a patience game then. the same game to when I bought it, but in reverse. I've got some thinking to do. and apparently, some more research - Cheers RobinA3. Very helpful....
Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is another thread on here where a dealer is selling this car http://www.stockportcarsupermarket.c...eshire-1147208

66K same year, with all the dealer facilities for 9.5K and a GT without a hardtop is well, not really a GT (as thats the only difference) despite what it says on the V5. your mileage may however vary depending where in the UK you are?

S.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM

I've clearly got cocky here thinking I could sell my s2000 for £9k. that or being incredibly impatient. I'd noticed most of the more expensive examples in a similar bracket were from trade sellers. Appreciate the GT point too. Is that going to put off a buyer of mine vs them buying the roadster? As far as I understand, you don't need a fitting kit for the GT if you do have a roof? The car looks as though it'll take a roof based on the slots behind the brushes when when rag tops down. I guess this is the stuff I thought I knew. oh dear. I have some work to do, or a decision to make so thanks
Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Like has been mentioned folks expect the hard top if you advertise this as a GT. Same for calling an AP2 which indicates it has the 2.2 liter engine, which it doesn't.

But that said this car would be in the US$15,000 range in North America. Not that you'd ship it here. Assuming all body panels have matching numbers, it has OEM wheels, etc.

Normally when a car like this is advertised for a long time with no phone calls indicates it's overpriced so much folks aren't even going to make an offer. Is there a photo with your ad? Is the car is excellent condition?

I believe forum rules allow non-members to sell S2000s but nothing else.

-- Chuck
Old 04-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't of thought the colour of the car would have that much of an impact on selling it, the car in my opinion looks great in any of it's colours, I think most people would be more interested in the condition and history than the colour like I was when I was looking.

As far as the price goes then kick it of at 9 for a few weeks and see what happens if no interest then lower it and see what happens.

If I sold mine and lost or made a little bit on what I originally paid after several years of use then I'd still be well happy.

The GT hardtop version is not for everyone but still a bonus for someone who likes them and wants to buy one.

Last edited by sZooo5; 04-12-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Apart from the colour being known colloquially as 'ladyboy blue' of course.

£9k is too much I'm afraid.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

£9k sounds reasonable given age and mileage - the missing roof is a small issue. It's in the good tax bracket (although this is about to change I think!)

Looking through PH, it seems well priced, maybe go for £8750, but not much lower?

Quick Reply: Advice on selling S2000 GT