UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ah lifeshine & clay bar?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ah lifeshine & clay bar?

My s2000 was given a lifeshine treatment by the dealer l bought from last week (don’t have a go, I had already agreed a price and for some reason they offered to do it / so I let them) - the paint does feel really smooth and beads well. But there is still come contaminet on the bonnet and wings, so I know it would benefit from a clay bar session.
does anybody know if this would effect the lifeshine? I assume it is just a sealant, so maybe pulling the contaminet through it will lift/remove it? As the car is likely to sit at my parents house till summer, I think it would be better to retain the Ls - but I am keen to get the road tar (they are tiny tbf) spots off it
Old 04-02-2018, 12:44 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it,
clay bar will remove everything
Old 04-02-2018, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it,
clay bar will remove everything
the dealer is about 200miles away and the treatment was a good will gesture. So I guess they clay bar can wait
Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes claybar will remove everything but dont worry, you could buy £40 quids worth of goods and give yourself as much protection
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Yeah it'll just be some commission based BS at the dealer, a fairly crap sealant I imagine. I wouldn't sweat it but when you claybar you need to put some layers of whatever on afterwards.

I use zaino polish, layer that up then a carnuba wax.. I do use a sealant too sometimes but you don't need to if you have time to polish imo
Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 AM

Thanks all, as it’s not be driven I think the sealant can stay still summer. Then I’ll clay bar, polish, wax and re-seal.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 AM

Like any car treatment you need to do your prep. With a new car it's a lot easier but with a used car you should clay-bar before putting on the ceramic coating. The AutoGlym life-shine will seal in any contaminants in the paint work. You can get Life-shine on e-bay for around £60.00 any cheaper it will be the old life-shine and not the new "ceramic" life-shine. Make sure and ask the question that it is the new ceramic coating.

D
Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Anyone who uses any type of treatment finish on top of dirt should be hung drawn and quartered, no excuse for that, the only options are strip it bac and start again, or live with it. Stuff like that should only be trusted to professional detailers, not some garage monkey.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
Anyone who uses any type of treatment finish on top of dirt should be hung drawn and quartered, no excuse for that, the only options are strip it bac and start again, or live with it. Stuff like that should only be trusted to professional detailers, not some garage monkey.
I knew someone would have a go. I think you have to consider not everyone who buys a car is a valeting connoisseur. They didn’t just slap a sealer on top of dirt, they (Honda main dealer) gave a 14 year old car a full valet - then applied a lifeshine treatment. I don’t think you can expect a main dealer to spend half a day prepping a used car. Joe regular would be chuffed with the fact that his paint is (mostly) silky smooth, beads well and has an additional layer of protection. It’s only particular people like ourselves that would even notice the room for improvement.
The only way to get, the already good looking paint, better would be to clay bar it (how many regular drivers even know of clay bar) - now that I know this will lift the sealant I have to ask myself what’s more important, the added protection or getting the small amount of contamination out.
As it’s going to be parked up till summer I’ll leave it as is.
I’m still grateful that it was applied free of charge.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilslick

I knew someone would have a go. I think you have to consider not everyone who buys a car is a valeting connoisseur. They didn’t just slap a sealer on top of dirt, they (Honda main dealer) gave a 14 year old car a full valet - then applied a lifeshine treatment. I don’t think you can expect a main dealer to spend half a day prepping a used car. Joe regular would be chuffed with the fact that his paint is (mostly) silky smooth, beads well and has an additional layer of protection. It’s only particular people like ourselves that would even notice the room for improvement.
The only way to get, the already good looking paint, better would be to clay bar it (how many regular drivers even know of clay bar) - now that I know this will lift the sealant I have to ask myself what’s more important, the added protection or getting the small amount of contamination out.
As it’s going to be parked up till summer I’ll leave it as is.
I’m still grateful that it was applied free of charge.
Not having a go at you, lifeshine is normally "offered" as an extra for new car sales, on a second hand the car needs to be clean at the very least. I appreciate not everyone expects concourse finish on a used car, but when it's offered as an incentive to buy a used car it needs to be just as good as new car service. If you are happy with what you have got fine but as you have taken the time to post here I suspect you are a little bit narked that they have done a duff job.

Quick Reply: Ah lifeshine & clay bar?