UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Airbox lid off versus induction kit!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbox lid off versus induction kit!

I just went out for a spin in my new S. Took the airbox lid off for the first time!

Loved the growl when I put my foot down but found it a bit coarse at high revs, particularly when the VTEC kicked in there was a raucously uncouth loud honking buzz. This made me smile the first time but I couldn't live with it.

My eye has been taken by the thread on the K&N kit. Looks a nice piece of kit but can people tell me why this is any different from having the airbox lid off? Surely it's still just an exposed filter, albeit a fancy one? Or does it somehow force more air into the engine? Clearly it must offer some advantages.

The K&N looks a great deal, how does it sound through the rev range compared to 1) airbox lid off and 2) other (?cheaper) kits.

I really appreciate all the help I've been given on this forum so far! I love cars but having never owned anything exciting until now the world of modding and tweaking is still new to me. I do use the search function but often posts date way back and I'm not sure how relevant they are to a MY06 as I hear the scope for modification is more limited than with the earlier cars.

Thanks!

Matty
Old 09-09-2007, 11:23 PM

hard to say, certainly the humm you get at idle with teh lid off is removed with the K and N.

The honking buzz didn't happen when I took the airbox lid off mine, it think because they are working outside of how they were designed to they all sound a bit different with teh lid off.

The only advantage that the k and n is supposed to have is that it seperates the filter from teh rest of the enginebay and should be pulling slightly cooler air from the front of the car. This can help tha "kangerooing" problem some have when pulling off but There is littele to no performance increace.

Well worth it.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Personally I don't rate the K&N

Look at the:
AEM V2
J's Racing
Mugen

Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 AM

Will do. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by wingnutLP,Sep 10 2007, 07:23 AM
hard to say, certainly the humm you get at idle with teh lid off is removed with the K and N.

The honking buzz didn't happen when I took the airbox lid off mine, it think because they are working outside of how they were designed to they all sound a bit different with teh lid off.

The only advantage that the k and n is supposed to have is that it seperates the filter from teh rest of the enginebay and should be pulling slightly cooler air from the front of the car. This can help tha "kangerooing" problem some have when pulling off but There is littele to no performance increace.

Well worth it.
So, it removes a humm at idle. May take in slightly cooler air which might help with kangerooing (nothing a dip of the clutch wont fix). Little to no performance increase.

So no point really
Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 AM

No, there is little to no point other than:
Reducing or preventing the humm at idle that occurs with the lid off the airbox
Increacing the noise throught the rest of the rpm range WITHOUT the performance drop of removing the lid
Helping prevent kangerooing without "dipping the clutch"

Hardly worth it for the
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Jel

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Sep 10 2007, 08:36 AM

Look at the:
AEM V2
J's Racing
Mugen

Why not, have you ever had one?

The K&N totally elliminates kangarooing and sounds nice. As for performance gains there's toss all in it between
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Sep 10 2007, 07:36 AM

Look at the:
AEM V2
J's Racing
Mugen

I cant vouch for sound, but its just the design and location of the K&N.

I rate an AEM above the K&N, but i am biased but you also have to do a bit of cutting to fit the AEM which was a PITA.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Jel,Sep 10 2007, 03:33 PM] Why not, have you ever had one?

The K&N totally elliminates kangarooing and sounds nice. As for performance gains there's toss all in it between
Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The K&N is the best one in its price bracket IMO, and its also easy to fit. I too like the AEM but taking the bumper off is a PITA. K&N have been making filters for donkey's years - its theri bread and butter.

Even the Gruppe M, which is the daddy, uses a K&N cone.

At the end of the day, none of them will give you any more noticible power in isolation, but if you choose the wrong one (ie some other crap make) then you could lose some. So unless you are going for a big NA build I wouldnt get too excited.

The J's is prob the best one but its a step up in price which many dont want to pay. Mugen is ok, but at the same money as the J's one there is no contest for me.

If your car is still under warranty, you will void it in the event of any engine related claim - unless you get agreement from your dealer.

Quick Reply: Airbox lid off versus induction kit!