UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Aircon

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircon

My aircon does not work. It never has since I got the car but it doesn't bother me as I see it as a pointless bit of equipment. If its cold, I put the heater on, if its hot, I drop the hood!!

Anyway, assuming that if I do ever part with the car and want the aircon working before selling, what am I likely to have to do? I am assuming a recharge isnt necessarily going to fix it?

Cheers

Steve
Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The AC won't work if it's empty, so you may need to get it recharged. I'd expect to find a leak somewhere though if that's the case.

Does the AC light come on when you switch it on?

And what's all this hood business today!? We're not in the US!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by MB
The AC won't work if it's empty, so you may need to get it recharged. I'd expect to find a leak somewhere though if that's the case.

Does the AC light come on when you switch it on?

And what's all this hood business today!? We're not in the US!

Apologies for my Americanism!

Yeah, the light comes on but I wouldnt say the air temp could be reduced to very cold, more like luke warm. I assumed the aircon needed gassing but I was under the impression that if left too long the seal goes or something. If thats the case what do I need and how much will it cost? Its prob been like this for over 3 years so is a re-charge likely to fix it or is it likely to be buggered?

Cheers.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Is it possible to remove the AC unit? must way a bit and I can't see the point.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

way? I think you mean weigh Yes it does weigh a fair bit and most people remove it for track use to reduce wight of the car. You have to buy a shorter belt though. I couldn't live without AC though.

Toully, mine was the same as yours, ligh on, no cooling. If you can get someone to click it on while you listen under the bonnet. If you can't hear the AS clutch engage it's likely it just needs a top up. But as you say, it would have to have leaked in the first place. Mine had spring a leak where a front mount intercooler had been fitted... all working well now.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 AM

Way?! I am so very very sorry. That's even worse than Americanisations!

(But if were being picky didn't you mean weight... )
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by MB
way? I think you mean weigh Yes it does weigh a fair bit and most people remove it for track use to reduce wight of the car. You have to buy a shorter belt though. I couldn't live without AC though.

Toully, mine was the same as yours, ligh on, no cooling. If you can get someone to click it on while you listen under the bonnet. If you can't hear the AS clutch engage it's likely it just needs a top up. But as you say, it would have to have leaked in the first place. Mine had spring a leak where a front mount intercooler had been fitted... all working well now.

If its hasnt leaked in the first place and just stopped over time due to age etc is it likely a top up will work or do the units fail completely if they are not maintained? I am sure someone said that if its not used the seals dry out and then its fooked, but I may be wrong!

Cheers