Alex's S2000 Build Thread - Mostly Audio (for now...) - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > International Communities > UK & Ireland S2000 Community
Reload this Page >

Alex's S2000 Build Thread - Mostly Audio (for now...)

UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alex's S2000 Build Thread - Mostly Audio (for now...)

Old 04-16-2018, 02:40 AM
UK Moderator

Daytona-Dave has my old car (which sadly suffered an engine failure) so I expect he might be able to help with some pics. See this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...egend-1162841/

I've not let fester loose on my new car (yet!) but on the old car it certainly resolved the rattling tray.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:40 AM
UK Moderator

This is an interesting thread in terms of lots of systems/photos etc: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el...ystems-473951/

And this is a fun thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el...thread-871020/

Last edited by lovegroova; 04-16-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 AM

Haha you know i love leaving my blood in owners cars

I think i'm running C.300RMS to the front mids and tweeters and about 700RMS to the 10" kicker in the boot - in a small car, it is more than enough volume.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova View Post
This is an interesting thread in terms of lots of systems/photos etc: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el...ystems-473951/

And this is a fun thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el...thread-871020/
Wow that second thread is serious! I’ve stolen this picture from it though which shows a similar plan to what I was thinking with cutting holes, maybe a bit more extreme than I was planning though! I think covering in soeaker grille cloth should make it look fine and let a lot of air through - conveniently I have some in the garage!

Going to Studio In Car to get the BitOne tuned on Saturday, I think I’ll remove the tray completely for that and then do the hole cutting later. Will let you know how the tune goes!

Im running similar power levels to you I think unclefester, 75RMS to the tweeters, 100RMS to the woofers and 600RMS to the sub. Should be plenty!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:43 AM

That's near enough what i've done to mine and Simons old shelf but far smaller holes - you do need SOME strength retained in the shelf. Two rows of holes, each about 3" square - reinforced with dynamat and then covered in acoustic carpet.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
That's near enough what i've done to mine and Simons old shelf but far smaller holes - you do need SOME strength retained in the shelf. Two rows of holes, each about 3" square - reinforced with dynamat and then covered in acoustic carpet.
:thumb: Sounds like a good plan, I'll get that done next time I have a weekend to spare!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 AM

I must agree - I expect that volume of material removed would make no difference if you halved the quantity (to sound quality), yet it would make the panel flimsy and I'd want a replacement made out of metal.

Far better would be to take the approach of a regular speaker grille and add many smaller holes in a pattern.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:10 AM

Pretty busy week for the S2000 last week - first up was getting the audio system tuned at Studio In Car. Great service from these guys, more than happy for me to sit in the car the whole time and get things setup the way I wanted. Sounds a lot better now, the sub in particular is a lot more integrated and the bass from the doors is pretty awesome! Still some room for improvement, the door panels are vibrating quite a bit so I'm going to add some Dynamat to the inside of the door card (as well as the inner and outer metal skins which I've already done!). Also still need to tidy up the parcel shelf and sub install, but that will have to wait for a week or two!

Mid-week I also had a bit service booked at TGM, as well as fitment of various bits and bobs I had been collecting. As normal great service from TGM, and no majors problems noticed which is good news! My thoughts on the mods:
  • M-Tec black grooved discs and PBS pads - did quite a bit of research on which parts to buy, and pretty happy with my choice. The discs and pads I had fitted previously were pretty tired, and these are a massive improvement - great stopping power and firmer pedal (full fluid change at the same time which probably helped). The discs are powder coated all over which should mean they don't rust, we'll see how this goes over the coming months. Good value at just over £150 for the lot. Pads seem great, similar to DS2500 which I have run on other cars (which is what Area Motorsport told me when purchasing), and they had a deal on when I bought them where the rears were free when you bought the fronts, so great value at around £100! The combination of aggressive pads, coated discs and new tyres did make the first few stops feel very strange, but no problems now they are bedded in. Only took a few miles for the black coating to some of the disc.
  • HEL braided lines - I was disappointed to get a call from TGM telling me the fittings on the lines had only around 3 turns of thread in to the factory hardline fittings, rather than around 9 on the OEM lines. They strongly advised me not to fit them, so I have returned them to Tegiwa. Seems to be a recent problem, they have seen this problem on a few other sets in recent times. I'll look to get some replacements in a few months time when the car is next back in, I'll go for TGM's own (sadly I didn't release they have their own product otherwise I would have gone that way from the start!).
  • Michelin PS4's - great tyres, feel very similar to Pilot Super Sport I have run on other cars previously. Expensive (£400 a set) but worth every penny. I got from CamSkill, delivered straight to TGM who did the fitting, nice and easy.
  • Cusco front lower brace and Tegiwa rear lower brace - both bought second hand on here. Pretty happy with the change from these, a decent NVH improvement (which is what I was hoping for) - less rattles over big bumps / potholes etc. Probably more due to the front brace than the rear, but obviously can't be sure. Don't think I can notice any handling difference, especially with having changed tyres at the same time, but happy enough anyway! If buying new I think I would still be happy with the front brace but probably wouldn't bother with the rear.
  • Invidia decat pipe - again bought second hand, I was expecting a bit of a noise increase and maybe a bit more midrange power. I think it does feel a bit smoother in mid-RPMs, but I don't really like the noise (not much difference top end and a bit annoying at low speed), and I really don't like the smell! Not sure why but it's much worse than I have had with other decat'd cars. Needless to say this will be coming off soon, I have bought a used Berk HFC to fit instead which I'll get on in the next week or two. Anyone who is after a decat pipe let me know, I'll have one for sale in a couple of weeks!
Next up is to fit my K&N intake and HFC, then look at getting the car mapped with the FlashPro, but that might have to wait a few months!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 AM

I lined the inside of the door cards as well as the inner surface of the door skin and also the inside of the outer door skin. I also spent time making sure there was O rings between all the door card clips as well as making sure the door lock / opening bars weren't free to rattle around. I also secured any loose wires with dynamat to stop them rattling against things. It took time and probably added 2kg to each door but it was time well spent.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:17 AM

I lined the inside of the door cards as well as the inner surface of the door skin and also the inside of the outer door skin. I also spent time making sure there was O rings between all the door card clips as well as making sure the door lock / opening bars weren't free to rattle around. I also secured any loose wires with dynamat to stop them rattling against things. It took time and probably added 2kg to each door but it was time well spent.
O-rings on the clips is a good shout, I'll try that! Cheers

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service