UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alignment help, catching on from fender (just passenger side)

Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment help, catching on from fender (just passenger side)

So a question for the alignment guru's. Hey guys. So here's my problem. I run 17x9 +45 up front. Now that isn't aggressive. My front fenders have been rolled totally flat and about 10mm flare.
They look even on both sides however by feel only, you can tell the passenger side has slightly less clearance than the drivers.

Running -2 camber up front. The tyres when straight tuck under arch and that's no problem. However because I'm pretty low-key when the wheels are fully turned, the clearance from tallest part of tyre to fender is not a lot.

I've stiffened the front coilovers to Max (meisterr zeta r) and when I drive it doesn't feel like they hit off fender when wheels are turned. I don't really hear much, so it must be minimal but I had damaged the paint before stiffening front to max.

Touched this up, but since then, I check it every week and have noticed a part I touched up has flaked again therefore there must be some rubbing. I know the best way to solve this is to gently widen the archa few mm more to match the drivers side, but this would require a repaint and I simply don't have the resources for this.

My question is, will running more camber do the trick? I know it will provide more clearance when the wheels are straight on, but will now camber provide that extra bit of clearance I need when wheels are turned? ( the tallest part of tyre being tucked into fender more? Or will this only be the case when wheels are straight?

Few pics below to show my car as it is atm and the damage. Cheers guys.

image by Tim Long, on Flickr

Touched up, but when I checked you can see the spot which has flaked off again. image by Tim Long, on Flickr

Looks like it's rust colured, though doesn't have a rough texture. Can this just be painted over to stop it getting worse? image by Tim Long, on Flickr -2 camber in front. image by Tim Long, on Flickr Any help appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17x9 +45 seems reasonably aggressive to me!

By adding more static camber at the front, you'll change the feel of the front end and probably have a negative effect on tyre wear as well as handling. The boring but sensible answer would be to wind the coilovers up a touch to give yourself a little more clearance, maybe another click or two on the dampers too if it's a problem over bumps?

Running that low will have a negative effect on the suspension geometry through a change of roll centres etc.

If you're looking for a way to make them fit as is, then i'd probably suggest the american side of the forum would be a good place to search for info on who's done what.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you look at the photos with the steering on full lock and picture where the top of the tyre would be with a bit more camber I can't see it making any difference on the clearance, it'll only move the point of contact a bit forward.

You could try playing with the castor as that'll have a bigger impact on how the wheel sits on lock but it could ruin the handling even more when the car is so low.

Like above I'd raise it up a few millimeters, you'll be surprised how little you'd have to raise it to gain enough clearance to stop the scraping. Until you steer the car onto a ramp/driveway or something and it'll be end of story for your front wing...