UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alpine Interface Available

Old 09-05-2001, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This interface does not work with American decks. They lack the interface jack that is included on European decks. What is up with Alpine anyway to leave this off American decks!?
Old 09-06-2001, 03:45 AM

I just fitted my Alpine Mini Disc! It took ten minutes, was a piece of cake and sounds fab! - much bigger sound.

I did order an alpine - dash control - interface but decided to fit it initially without whilst i wait for it to arrive. I am now not sure if i will fit it at all, i'm going to wait and see if i miss the dash controls first as i have no skill for fixing the headlights problem!

On another note... I want to put some rear speakers in as well and i nte from the wiring that there is not a straight forward way to 'plug in' to the rear speaker wires.

How do you guys do it?

Do i just connect some wires to the speaker ones by 'biting' into the relevant ones with a special kind of 'wire biting into' connector?

thanks in anticipation

joe
Old 09-06-2001, 07:44 AM

Joe

Is your car the one with the JOE private registration? I've seen that one a few times in North London
Old 09-06-2001, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am probably mis-understanding you here, but for the rear speakers you just need to 'tap' (or bite!) into the relevant wires on the head unit harness (has the harness with your new unit come with a 'block' plug carrying all in / out wires?)

Re the interface - call Chris Brown at Alpine UK tech support (see their wed site for the number - sorry, I dont have it to hand) - he knows the mod necessary to fix the 'lights problem' - I am sure he can arrange for it to be built into your interface before it gets shipped.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by BabyNSX
Joe

Is your car the one with the JOE private registration? I've seen that one a few times in North London
Hi Asif!

No thats not me... I'm a west London boy (migrated south from yorkshire in search of warmer climbs)

Jc
Old 09-07-2001, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by ianl
I am probably mis-understanding you here, but for the rear speakers you just need to 'tap' (or bite!) into the relevant wires on the head unit harness (has the harness with your new unit come with a 'block' plug carrying all in / out wires?)

Re the interface - call Chris Brown at Alpine UK tech support (see their wed site for the number - sorry, I dont have it to hand) - he knows the mod necessary to fix the 'lights problem' - I am sure he can arrange for it to be built into your interface before it gets shipped.
Hi Ian,

Yes you got it right I did want to know if i could just tap into the wires and am confident that even i will manage that

Re the interface, I will call chris and let you know how I get on with him. Thanks again

Joe
Old 09-10-2001, 01:10 AM

Good news!

My dash-interface arrived this morning (I bet it was the one Alpine were holding for you Ian).

Since it arrived at 7:30am I was able to nip straight out and fit it before leaving for work. I plugged all the wires in and it worked a treat.

...so i turned on my headlights and ...nothing. The sound was muted! Just as you described Ian.

Alpine UK are going to modify the interface for me so all should be fixed... fingers crossed!

jc
Old 09-24-2001, 02:03 AM

Can someone provide specifics about the fix for the mute button bug?

I have the same problem and the local Alpine rep is clueless.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Luis,

All I know is that the fix involves putting a resistor into one of the lines - The guy who knows most about this in Alpine UK is called Chris Brown - he knows all of the technical details. You can pick up an Alpine UK tech. support number on their web site (sorry, I dont have details to hand) - give me a shout if you have no luck and I will chase it some more from this end.

Good luck

Ian
Old 09-25-2001, 03:47 AM

Thanks Ian.

The fix is a .25W 10Kohm resistor between the black and the thin purple cables on the white multi-pin connector.

Quick Reply: Alpine Interface Available