UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anglesey trackday [Vid]

Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anglesey trackday [Vid]

Hi all.

Went to the Circuit-Days trackday at Anglesey on Sunday and had a fantastic time. If you've not been I highly recommend it, very picturesque, interesting fun track and felt quite suited to the S2000. I also got away with a fair bit of drifting which the organisers were happy enough with, really quite exciting in the S2k and it's not very often you get to go on full drift attack mode on a dry open circuit! I really got to experiment with some different techniques relying on weight shift control. Very satisfying and very informative. I'd also recommend Circuit-Days as an organiser too, never been with them before and it was extremely well ran including pictures which they send you inclusive in your fee. I also got to meet a fellow enthusiast (features in video).

Anyway, hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed the day:

I would ask for critique again but I was generally slithering around far too much to be properly fast!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Really enjoyed watching that . Great vid and great driving

considering the white s2000 mods think you done pretty well !!

Was there any noticeable difference in speed with his final drive being higher ?

Last edited by Bodyboarder1981; 03-14-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
Really enjoyed watching that . Great vid and great driving

considering the white s2000 mods think you done pretty well !!

Was there any noticeable difference in speed with his final drive being higher ?
Thanks! Actually not as much of a difference as I thought it would be. I think it helped his initial pickup out of corners but hard to tell how much of that was just due to the other mods/skills.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cracking video and a cracking day - came across you spinning at the top of rocket in the morning. You and the white car were clearly going well. I was in the dark blue 57 plate going nowhere with understeer issues - I'd bought the car the previous week and am learning the hard way having come from a well set up lotus 2 eleven.

Following a day of disappointing understeer my conclusion is that stock tyres and geo not much fun for me!

I'm just back from demon tweeks having had a set of ohlins dfv coil overs fitted. Unfortunately they were unable to alter the stock geo as adjusters are siezed, something of a pain to say the least..

Off to Rockingham on Sunday for another go! Cheers
Old 03-14-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really enjoyed that video, great driving!

I keep fantasizing about doing my first track day, I really don't know what I'm waiting for!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Excellent heal and toe action!!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks overly loose more than anything. Are you running a lot of rake and not a lot of rear toe?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cardinals
Cracking video and a cracking day - came across you spinning at the top of rocket in the morning. You and the white car were clearly going well. I was in the dark blue 57 plate going nowhere with understeer issues - I'd bought the car the previous week and am learning the hard way having come from a well set up lotus 2 eleven.
It's a fun car to figure out. You caught my one and only spin Bit dodgy in the wet. Ended up speaking to one of the people from your group for a bit towards the end of the day. Is it possible your understeer was caused by alignment, especially if your adjusters were seized? Seemed like you were going well though.

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Your car looks overly loose more than anything. Are you running a lot of rake and not a lot of rear toe?
Yeah, I have thought about this. Mine does seem to move about more than other videos I've seen of standard cars, I just assumed it was my driving really and my willingness to hang it out a bit. Suspension height is all standard and alignment is stock. I think I might have just been overheating my rears by the end, as before I started being really silly it was nowhere near as loose. I feel I'm coming towards the end of what I can achieve with the standard setup really, now quite interested in doing some suspension mods to pick up some more corner speed and stability. I had a ride in the white car earlier in the day and I was pleasantly surprised with how much it still felt like my car, just a bit more of everything - it's inspired me to perhaps go a little further with mine now. I just didn't want it to lose that slightly twitchy feeling, as it's what I find makes the car so much fun.

Last edited by Andy_F; 03-14-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:04 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_F
Thanks! Actually not as much of a difference as I thought it would be. I think it helped his initial pickup out of corners but hard to tell how much of that was just due to the other mods/skills.
That's correct, a shorter final drive only helps on a slow, tight track (like Curborough), but on a normal circuit it will make you slower in some parts.

A very enjoyable vid, I can only dream of car control like that.

It might be faster to use 3rd gear in a few places where you're using 2nd and try to carry more speed through the corner. Peel, the Corkscrew onto the back straight and Bus Stop, and perhaps the Banking, too. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it's worth a try next time you go (Obviously it's a lot less drifty that way ))
Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
A very enjoyable vid, I can only dream of car control like that.
Thanks It only comes from a lack of fear and having confidence in being loose, which in itself only comes from exposure and practice. Lots and lots of practice. Once you remove the fear, you become a lot more comfortable and relaxed with it... although that's not to say a bit of poo doesn't still come out sometimes!

Good point on using 3rd in areas, wish I'd thought about that. Would have effectively made me much smoother and therefore probably faster, although I'd have been out of vtec quite a bit so there'd be a decent trade-off. I'll be going to Anglesey again in the future for sure, so I'll give it a go one day.

Quick Reply: Anglesey trackday [Vid]