UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another accident

Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another accident

Today, I and some friends, arranged a small trip to the mountains. We chose a not so busy road with some fine curves to make the driving experience as enjoyable it could get.

3 S2000s (my MY03 and 2 MY05s), 1 DC5 Type R and a guy with an Alfa Romeo GT. There wasn't much traffic but we were taking it easy not going beyond the legal limits.

To cut a long story short, one of the 05s, was leading, until on a slight curve, instead of choosing the 3rd gear he chose 1st, causing the rear tyres to lock and oversteer the car. There seems to be only body damage since he hit some bushes but it's quite extensive. Front and rear bumpers (and the lip spoiler), scratches on all for wheels and 2-3 odd bumbs here and there.

Now to the question. He remembers the revs hitting maximum and most probably he over revved the engine. I suggested he checks the valves before driving the car when it's repaired but the other guys suggested otherwise.
What do the more knowledgeable owners suggest? Should he have the engine checked first or do you think it will be ok? If the answer is yes, what tests do you suggest should be enough for peace of mind?

Thanks, George
Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If he was vtecing in second, went for third and got first, he will have almost certainly overrevved the engine.

Get the valve retainers checked.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 AM

try turning the engine over by hand (via bottom pulley) using a spanner or ratchet ( dont undo it ) if it will do a complete engine revolution chances are he has not bent any valves and should be o.k to start. if it locks up when turning it round by hand possibly got bent valves. if it is o.k turning by hand and you start it up but sounds rough possibe bent push rods.
dave
Old 09-16-2007, 09:17 AM

He just told me he had to start the car at the bodyshop, to get it off the flat bed. Engine sounds ok but should he be reassured or have it checked anyway?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check any way often the effects on an over rev don't show immediately!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it checked immediately.
The inertia of the valves will bring them into contact with the piston.

Typical results are split retainers and bent valves. Can take a little while for symptoms to occur but typically it's loss of compression shortly followed by dumping a valve into the cylinder and writing the engine off
Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Sorry to Hi-jack, just wanted to know if this is the same if you are doing a fast pull in first gear and you hit the red line, I dont do it personally, as it looks a bit chavvy, but I know a few people who do this in there civics (B16)

Or is this purely because he selected the wrong gear ?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by PHS2K,Sep 16 2007, 06:16 PM
Sorry to Hi-jack, just wanted to know if this is the same if you are doing a fast pull in first gear and you hit the red line, I dont do it personally, as it looks a bit chavvy, but I know a few people who do this in there civics (B16)

Or is this purely because he selected the wrong gear ?
From what the OP says, engaging first instead of third probably meant that for a fraction of a second the engine rpm exceeded it's design limits and there have been many instances of expensive repairs in that circumstance.

The engine rev limiter works on the up-shift, not down shift of the gearbox.

Every possibility that there is no damage, depends on how fast/how long etc and a bit of luck thrown in.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is driving itself up then the ECU can just cut the fuel and slow the engine down preventing damage to the engine.

If you mis-shift you mechanically drive the engine faster than it's designed to go. Doesn't matter that the fuel is cut off by the ECU. THe momentum of the vehicle does all the work
Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. Better safe than sorry

Quick Reply: Another accident