UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Any advice on new exhaust system vs OEM?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read most people do seem to like the more aggressive sound, and IMO it matches the look and feel of the car more, but it's personal preference I suppose.

Will this pipe be sufficient? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151642628838

38mm, 1.5mm wall, stainless, 500mm length

Seems like a pretty cheap mod, and I can spend the money on a Berk HFC to improve things further
Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by noirenex
From what I've read most people do seem to like the more aggressive sound
What you mean is people who have replaced their exhaust like a more agressive sound, the vast majority of owners have left well alone they just don't post to say they haven't changed it.

And when you say "upgrade" the exhaust do you mean to get more power? Because you won't get much if any unless you go for forced induction ECU replacement and remapping etc. Just getting it to make a different or more niose is not an upgrade.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://youtu.be/NDydC-O6efM
Old 04-27-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll have a DMS Pro65 (Solid Fabrication) up shortly if you want a something aggressive. But download Lou Reed's Machine Music first and listen to that to simulate the 2-3k annoyance.

Go HFC first then butcher the stock exhaust with mod.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original query was around an upgrade, but after doing some research it seems that as you say, the stock system is a pretty nice setup, which then got me thinking onto the sound, maybe it's because I've got a bike but I think the mod makes it sound much better, and for me, that's an upgrade just as much as changing how another aspect may look or feel

Thanks for the offer Cynic - However if it's droning then I think i'll stay away, I want the best of both worlds, a nice putter about town but a roar when I boot it along the country roads. The whole experience of the sight, sound and feel together is what really makes the car for me
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Childsy
Only aftermarket exhaust I would consider is the milltek for the very same reasons above. Albeit I'm only 25! ;-)
Positively ancient mate, go buy a jazz you pensioner!
Old 04-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Originally Posted by Childsy' timestamp='1430166628' post='23593155
Only aftermarket exhaust I would consider is the milltek for the very same reasons above. Albeit I'm only 25! ;-)
Got a Jazz and I'm a pensioner, but this destitute pensioner will be driving his S2000 around the South of France for 6 weeks and paying cheap insurance. We were all young once and hopefully we will all get old. Make the most out of what life you've got, age gets better with wine.
Back on topic, look into Vortex supposed to be good, but no evidence of one fitted to a S2000
Old 04-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honda gave me a new jazz as a courtesy car, shocking vehicle! Lol
Old 04-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Childsy
Honda gave me a new jazz as a courtesy car, shocking vehicle! Lol
Got mine for free, but you are right I wouldn't pay for one.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

I live where I don't see another S2000 for weeks and can hardly compare how one exhaust compares to another so my only two comparisons are straight pipes, OEM exhaust, and the Invidia Q300 dual systen I helped put on 10 days ago. OK, that's 3 but the straight pipes don't really count!

Maybe I have hearing loss but I don't find the Q300 excessively loud. Louder than stock, for sure, but I can drive thru my suburban neighborhood in the morning and not bother anyone. This exhaust is behind a 63mm Berk high flow cat installed at the same time. I've read claims the Berk mellows the sound -- can't prove it by me. There's a nice burble between gears in traffic. The Q300 comes on LOUD when pushed but mellows out as soon as the throttle is lifted.

There appears to be a power gain with this system, but that's just my (and a buddy's) Butt Dyno.

Anyway this is just to say loud is relative (I own no stock in Invidia). I deliberately didn't want to modify the exhaust into the "UK Exhaust" -- do you Brits call it the UK Mod? -- because restoring it to stock looks like it might be a hassle and I have zero welding skills for the mod or un-mod. I can drop the Invidia Q300 and reinstall the OEM system in about an hour if it gets to me. You'll see it for sale here if that happens.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Any advice on new exhaust system vs OEM?