UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Any good at sewing?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any good at sewing?

A lot of soft top cars have a liner, looks better, warmer & quieter.

(edit)
I have had the liner in the car for a long time now and it has made the car quieter, warmer in winter and cooler in the summer. The fleece material is ideal for this application, looks good in the car and is stretchy so remains taught with the hood up and doesn't go baggy when down.

Made one out of a � XL 3.00 black fleece top from Primark plus velcro and elastic.
You can of course buy fleece by the metre in many colours and prints.
I made this one using a shop bought zip up top as a prototype but it works and has stayed in the car.

Cut a section out

Then cut it in half and sewed it back together using the bottom seam to make the two side seams. Later threaded elastic through these

Cut it to a size of 102cm X 52cm. Then shaped the front to the shape of the front of the roof. Sides have to be 48cm.

Self adhesive velcro added to front and back of bottom side. Elastic is fixed at the front so it can be pulled at the back to tighten it.

Velcro has to be fixed to bar section behind head between roof and bar.
Front section is held on by pull off trim on the front of roof and a couple of bits of velcro above the catches.

The elastic goes over the bar at the back, is pulled tighter and the secured to the bar with velcro

More detailed instructions

I used a a Primark fleece because they were cheap and handy but if you bought some fleece by the yard it would be easier.
If you buy a fleece you need to buy the largest man's size, there is just enough width in that.
The seam in the middle isn't needed for elastic, the fleece is stretchy front to back so it naturally pulls taught.

You could do it without sewing if you used the sewing version of double sided tape to make the side seams and the velcro is self adhesive so it might be possible to make without any sewing!
If you can get hold of a sewing machine to do the side seams all the better.
I'm quite good with a sewing machine as I used to enjoy making big kites but I know it's not something everybody takes to!

The whole piece needs to end up 101cm wide and 52cm front to back.
The fleece is stretchy in one direction only and you need to make sure it is stretchy front to back.

When the side seams are done lay it on something flat and stick the velcro hook part along one edge on the 'good' side.
Now measure 49cm from other long edge and mark with some tape or a pin. Also mark the centre of the front, 53 cm from the other long edge.
Stick the velcro on touching these marks to create the curve which echos the curve of the front metal part of the hood. Again, velcro on good side of fabric.

You then need to cut the material along the front edge of the velcro.

The velcro and material then needs to be cut back to half its width to a finished width of 1cm along this curved edge only. This is because the stiffened edge needs to go under the pull off trim at the front of the hood without overlap. This will bring the overhaul width to 52cm middle and 48cm at the edge.

Next thread 1cm wide elastic through the side seams. I used a length of wire coathanger to push it through. Sew some stitches right through at the front curved edge to anchor it in place.

That's about it. Now the car.

Put the hood half down and find the place the woolly part of the velcro needs to go at the back of the roof. It goes along the top of the metal bar, between bar and roof.
I found the best way to apply was to feed it into position with the backing tape on and then slowly peel and stick. Get it right on top of the bar.
You also need a couple of short pieces 5cm long on top of the bar where it emerges from the cover thingy at either end.

Put a piece of velcro here on the bar near the elastic, and a corresponding piece on the top of the liner (you can do this when it is in) .

Two bits of woolly velcro need to be positioned above the catches, between hood and metal front bar. These secure the ends of the liner.

To fit, with the roof half down, pull of the rubber trim which goes along the front of the hood. Centralise the liner and push the trim back on trapping the front of the liner, just the velcro covered part should be under the trim. Then push the ends of the liner between roof and metal and stick to the velcro stuck on earlier.

Next, position the rear of the liner on the velcro. Take care to centralise and then push it in all the way along as far back as possible into the gap. It should be on top of the bar.
The straps are then fed through on top of the bar and pulled so that they make the side nice an taught, thread them round the bar once more and stick to the bar using velcro. Cut of the excess and stop the end from fraying with some velcro. I turned over the end and stuck it to itself to make it neat.

Put the roof fully up and admire

I would advise changing the elastics (which I showed in another thread if yours are weak) Before doing this.

Changing hood elastic straps Clicky

I don't know if all that makes any sense so good luck if you try it
Old 11-02-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an excellent idea/How to!

Top Marks for ingenuity!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 PM

There was an S2000 on Blue Peter a while ago wasn't there

Good work BTW!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:46 PM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you make me one please ???

Pretty Please

Pretty Pretty Please

Bharat
Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BSM139,Nov 2 2008, 10:46 PM
Can you make me one please ???

Pretty Please

Pretty Pretty Please

Bharat
And me
Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 AM
PJD

Originally Posted by Jonsey Boy!,Nov 2 2008, 10:49 PM
And me
Me three!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 AM

It's not that difficult, and much more satisfying to DIY
Splash out the
Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Nah, better to pay you.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 AM

Very good job. Like it. Now where can I buy an S2000 fleece?

Quick Reply: Any good at sewing?