UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anybody know GF 51 XDL?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know GF 51 XDL?

Hello everybody.

I have joined the forum today (paid up both sides, makes sense) and I am going to Southampton tomorrow or the day after to look at a car.

The reg is GF 51 XDL and it is Monte-Carlo Blue.
It was listed here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have been told it is an insurance write off for the following reason:

Owner was on the motorway and a piece of debris punctured the radiator, coolant drained out, engine overheated and seized.

It was an insurance claim because the damage was caused by the debris.

►Is this somebody's car?
►Is the story true?
►Is there any other info about this car out there?

If the story is true then I am guessing the best case scenario is:

Engine out, check tolerances, rebuild with new pistons and liners.
New rad and coolant.

►What is the worst case?

This car is going to be a fun little project for me so I don't need it to be running every day, I can spare the time to rip all the wishbones off at once and do all the bushings. If the engine is out for two months that's not the end of the world either.

►Since the engine is going to be out, is there anything I can do now to prepare for the best possible NA performance?

I'm thinking (in time) about ITBs and higher redline, aircon delete etc., the suspension/handling is a priority to me I just don't want to miss an opportunity to do something now, while the engine is out that I will regret not having done later.

Thanks for the help.

*EDIT*

I'm in North Kent by the way, going to do as much of the work as possible myself.

Ginge
Old 11-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge,Nov 18 2010, 09:18 PM
Hello everybody.

I have joined the forum today (paid up both sides, makes sense) and I am going to Southampton tomorrow or the day after to look at a car.

The reg is GF 51 XDL and it is Monte-Carlo Blue.
It was listed here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have been told it is an insurance write off for the following reason:

Owner was on the motorway and a piece of debris punctured the radiator, coolant drained out, engine overheated and seized.

It was an insurance claim because the damage was caused by the debris.

►Is this somebody's car?
►Is the story true?
►Is there any other info about this car out there?

New rad and coolant.

►What is the worst case?

This car is going to be a fun little project for me so I don't need it to be running every day, I can spare the time to rip all the wishbones off at once and do all the bushings. If the engine is out for two months that's not the end of the world either.

►Since the engine is going to be out, is there anything I can do now to prepare for the best possible NA performance?

I'm thinking (in time) about ITBs and higher redline, aircon delete etc., the suspension/handling is a priority to me I just don't want to miss an opportunity to do something now, while the engine is out that I will regret not having done later.

Thanks for the help.

*EDIT*

I'm in North Kent by the way, going to do as much of the work as possible myself.

Ginge
Welcome

I don't know the car but even if everything else is straight

it's not cheap for a 2002 import non-runner needing a new engine (exchange is almost always the way to go - not an easy rebuild) and a rad

I bet it has incomplete history and at least a couple of dodgy tyres

budget £2K-£2.5K for a good s/h engine - then add fitting costs

I'm suspicious and will be surprised if it was written off for engine damage alone

let us know how you get on and good luck
Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

When you can get a well looked after UK car for a little bit more (like this one, no longer for sale but there must be others out there https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=826772 ) it doesn't make much sense to me.

One very important thing, have you got an insurance quote for an S2000? Be warned, they can be very high.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM

I know this might seem a bit mental to a lot of people but for me the project is half of the fun.

I can do an engine swap on my own so I can save on costs there.

I can probably get an engine for 1800 to do a straight swap and a rad will be 130 quid.

Sure I am knocking on the price of a cheap complete car there but this way I will come out of the deal with most of a spare engine.

The other option is to bide my time and wait for the parts I need to come up for sale on the forum.

Shouldn't be too long.

Looking at it in the next couple of days and I can still say no.

*Edit*

Got an insurance quote already for the one I am looking at, it's 600 quid which is only 80 more than my previous car (a modified MKI Octavia) was.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM

Good luck with your project!

Just one question though... that last thumbnail pick on the ebay advert looking through the front bumper - No major damage visible??? How big is the damage? And doesn't the A/C condenser sit in front of the radiator anyway so it would have to get through that first surely? Just being nosy really. GL
Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 PM

Thank you, that is a good point, I didn't know about the A/C condenser being in front of the rad.
It might not be as big as the rad so things could get around it I suppose but it is something to check.

This is why I asked the question.

Not too bothered about paint, there are a few scratches here and there, another thing to check in person.

I can fix paint.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge,Nov 18 2010, 09:18 PM

New rad and coolant.

►What is the worst case?

The F20C doesn't have replaceable liners and can't be rebored as the cylinders are fibre reinforced and nikasil coated (IIRC) so if the bores are scored as they likely will be if the engine siezed then the block is scrap.

I can't think of anyone on here that has successfully rebuilt one of these engines for that very reason.

I'd replace the engine with a good used one but don't expect to get much value out of the scrap one.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can be rebored to 0.25mm iirc?

Also can be sleeved i'd assume?

Though for the trouble, as much as I understand loving a project, it just seems pointless to get the same thing spending more just to have to do it yourself?

Each to their own mind
Old 11-19-2010, 02:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with lower on this one.

Sounds like a £££ sort of job. There are plenty of S' out there that would not need so much spending on it, but would provide the pleasure of a rebuild.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:21 AM

[QUOTE=coolchrisuk,Nov 18 2010, 11:04 PM]Just one question though... that last thumbnail pick on the ebay advert looking through the front bumper - No major damage visible??? How big is the damage? And doesn't the A/C condenser sit in front of the radiator anyway so it would have to get through that first surely? Just being nosy really. GL

Quick Reply: Anybody know GF 51 XDL?