UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anyone know this s2k?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the comments, much appreciated.
I may still go and look at this one and I have accepted that travel will be required to find one. That said, there is a potential car I’ll be looking at which is much more local to me, in my choice of colour too. It has much higher mileage (92k) but I think is priced with this taken into account. I hear that these engines tend to be very reliable (assuming it is maintained properly) and so perhaps I shouldn’t let the mileage put me off. Plus buying a cheaper car means I have a big of money left to one side to get any issues sorted as and when they crop up.

Id love a low mileage car, but think I’d end up modifying/tweaking to some extent so the extra residual value that these examples may command may actually then be lost anyway. I cannot deny that I want to put a decent exhaust (q300 perhaps), maybe change the wheels and if I’m bitten by the s2000 but then possibly an SC too. That’s not to say there aren’t other advantages of a low mileage car, although they are all of the same age I suppose.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
You presume right Pabs and to me he is trying to make a point which I would question.

The fact that the who ever fitted budget tyres didn't realise how sensitive the S2000 community - if not the S2000 - is to cheapskate rubber doesn't necessarily make the vehicle itself a fake or a lemon. No/little history wouldn't make me assume the worst, it would just make me be careful and do the 'due diligence'. There are no perfect S2000s out there waiting for the right money to come along. As for the gaps in MOTs, as Unclefester says why would a sick/dying/bedridden man MOT a car he can't drive? Enquire!

Question the current owner. Ask to see the service history and ownership history before you go inspect.

The hardtop/fitting kit can be sold on for ~£1k if you don't need.
the point is that it is one very easy way to see that SOMEONE has skimped

the sub-text to that story being what else has been subject to economising - service intervals, oil quality, etc

there can be reasons why these tyres are fitted

for example a previous owner may have fitted them and the seller isn't going to spend money replacing them

I have a car wearing Nexens and they won't be replaced until I have to change them because the mileage (1800 miles in two years) and usage of the car ( ambling limo) won't justify it

the previous owner fitted them but they were not the only thing skimped on and that's what you've got to watch out for - I've just highlighted something to take into account

I would also argue that the S2000 is very sensitive to cheapskate rubber, as are most performance cars and that the get out I've applied regarding Nexens does not apply to the S2000, esp in winter

good luck with finding the right car
Old 10-28-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks to have sold - did you buy it?