UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ap1 & AP2.....what's the deal

Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ap1 & AP2.....what's the deal

Hi, I'm considering buying an s2000 but just want to clarify something before I start looking. I've been researching a bit into these cars and found that 00-04 are AP1 and anything after that is AP2. I've learnt the difference between the two and all that but recently found that it might not apply in the UK.

So am I right in thinking all UK models are AP1? And is this more to do with the fact they are all 2.0 rather than the 2.2 but still have the other changes? Or are they all identical apart from the facelift body changes?

What I really want to know is if the UK models had the suspension changes in 04 to make the car less twitchy?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, all AP1 (pre-facelift and facelift) and yes they changed the suspension in 04 (and 07 I think too). The engines are slightly different (F20C1 and F20C2) but all 2.0 - the FAQs should have some more detailed answers to your queries !
Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

First of all, we'll done for not falling into the trap that most people do and using the US model differences for UK cars. You have discovered correctly that AP1=2.0, AP2=2.2 (which doesn't exist for UKDM). The facelift occurred (inc suspension changes) at the time the US went to AP2. UK got the facelift and suspension changes, but not the 2.2 engine (hence not AP2). This all happened in 2004.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 AM

This is the bit about the differences in the FAQ I was on about https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/301...st__p__5798524
Old 05-02-2014, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
First of all, we'll done for not falling into the trap that most people do and using the US model differences for UK cars. You have discovered correctly that AP1=2.0, AP2=2.2 (which doesn't exist for UKDM). The facelift occurred (inc suspension changes) at the time the US went to AP2. UK got the facelift and suspension changes, but not the 2.2 engine (hence not AP2). This all happened in 2004.
Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
This is the bit about the differences in the FAQ I was on about https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/301...st__p__5798524
Thanks for the link, I had a look in the FAQ bit that's pinned to the top of the post list but the section about the differences in models isn't complete. Just has a message saying "reserved for updates." Not sure why it doesn't come up as it does in the link you put up!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhyswh
Originally Posted by chrispayze' timestamp='1399019174' post='23140448
Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Thanks for the link, I had a look in the FAQ bit that's pinned to the top of the post list but the section about the differences in models isn't complete. Just has a message saying "reserved for updates." Not sure why it doesn't come up as it does in the link you put up!
Is this the bit you can't get?

Model Year differences

There are a few differences between the MY99 - MY01 models and the MY02 - MY03. The MY04-MY05 and MY06-MY07 have further changes and a slight facelift from the earlier models. Note: The wind deflector became standard from MY01 onwards.

MY02 differences

• Glass Rear Screen
• Cd player with tweeters built into the door
• Slightly restyled polished alloys
• Chrome rings around the rear lights and chrome front light surrounds
• A softer suspension setting which makes the car slightly less "pointy"
• Repositioned headlamp washer switch

Some like the suspension changes and others do not, it is probably best to try both cars if you are in the market for a used S2000.

04 Differences

• New front and rear bumper design
• 17" wheels with different Bridgestone tyres
• New front and rear lights
• Facelifted interior
• Some suspension changes which include a slight ride height change and a little softening of the rear end.
• Colour coded headlamp washers
• Factory fitted alarm
• New colours...

Posted Image

06 Differences

• New Colours - Deep Burgundy Metallic, Bermuda Blue Metallic
• New Interior Colour - Brown Leather
• Drive-By-Wire Throttle System. Ues a computer sensor to input throttle as opposed to pulling on the throttle cable
• Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with traction control option on MY06, standard on MY08. A combination of computer controlled throttle and individual wheel braking to control sudden changes in vehicle behavior. VSA has a turn-off switch where the defrost button (moved) used to be.
• 20 lbs heavier
• Redesigned road wheels
• Redesigned steering wheel
• Brake Assist, which helps drivers apply full braking pressure in an accident avoidance situation via the ABS actuator. Braking pressure is maintained momentarily after the driver's initial braking action to help the driver stop promptly. It deactivates when the driver releases pressure on the brake pedal
• Exterior temperature gauge
• New seats (interfaced to air bags for weight and position)
• 4 of the 8 speaker audio system are integrated roll bar speakers
• New intake manifold, fuel rail, intake support bracket, and injector cover
• Only one cam sensor
• New style map sensor
• IAT sensor has moved to the rubber intake tract
• Fuel line at engine is now a quick-release type
• Air pump, associated lines and control valve, have been eliminated
• Fan switch in the radiator has been replaced with a second CTS, in turn the fans are now computer controlled
• HO2S in the header is now referred to as an Air fuel ratio sensor
• New exhaust centre section
Old 05-02-2014, 01:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Richmc, the AP1 Nazi
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 AM

Why can't you guys deal with the fact that from my04 on we got the AP2 but with the AP1 engine. Not an AP1 with suspension, body and interior mods........
Old 05-02-2014, 03:32 AM

I think it boils down to the fact that if you look at your VIN plate it says JHMAP1 which means "S2000: F20C"
Old 05-02-2014, 03:42 AM

I'm glad I have the AP3, the only model with the secret compartment

Quick Reply: Ap1 & AP2.....what's the deal