UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

AP1 Suspension and Chasses vs. AP2

Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 Suspension and Chasses vs. AP2

Morning all

Sorry if this is has been done to death but I’ve been researching the changes made to the suspension and chasses on the AP2 version of the S as per this document and I’m a bit confused:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...d=200707112301
-- I know this is the north American AP2 but according to Wikipedia – “The 2004 model year incorporated several revisions to the S2000 and was given the chassis designation of AP2 (note: this designation was never used in the UK although the improvements to the vehicle were applied)”.

So, I keep noticing on this forum that the first bit of advice to new owners is to get the geo done. According to this document the only change made to the AP2 that that can be adjusted to match on the AP1 is the rear tow angle that was reduced from 0 19’ to 0 10’.

Is this correct or am I missing something... or is it a case of all the geometry settings being knocked out over time (like tracking) and needing a reset?

Also, does anyone on here actually prefer the old rear toe angle on the AP1? The FAQ says that some prefer the new settings, others do not.

In addition to the new rear tow settings Honda seemed to do quite a bit to improve the stiffness and rigidity of the chasses…

• Reinforcements have been added to the rear wheel house bulkhead
• Reinforcements have been added to the front cross members
• Brackets have been added to the front upper A-arms
• A performance rod has been added to the front cross member

...yet I have often heard the AP2 talking about as being slightly softer then the AP1 – is this simply because they increased the rates of the springs and the damping of the shocks?

Is it worth adding any of these improvements on the AP1, perhaps with aftermarket bracing etc? I’ve not really noticed any significant flex in the chassis when cornering but I’ve not driven the AP2 version before.

Thanks for your patience
Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 AM

Yeah I know - see 5th line down the post.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:59 AM

A full 4 wheel alignment is usually advised because having accurate and symetrical readings makes a big difference to the handling. It can be wrong because it came out the factory all over the place or it has moved over time. This is the reason. Its not because older cars should be "changed" to the newer +04 values. In general those with 99-04 cars stick with the original or amended Honda targets for thise model years, and the 04+ brigade go with the later figures with less toe.

As you say we don't have the AP2 but our chassis' have followed the model year changes. Its not quite as simple as Spring rates/ ARB thickness etc being different pre and post 2004. They have changed more than once before and after 2004. ie the 2010 model S2000 is not the same as the 2005.

Dont look at at the changes as improvements, they are just different. Don't try and turn your early car into a later car, just change what you would like, to suit your style.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by GavB
Dont look at at the changes as improvements, they are just different. Don't try and turn your early car into a later car, just change what you would like, to suit your style.
That’s great advice, thanks!

So often with manufacture revisions the opposite is true and small changes can actually make quite a bit of difference but I see that most of these changes were probably aimed at improving the car on 17" wheels rather than to correct more critical handling shortcomings in the earlier version.

I'll stick to the standard values then and get em checked.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 AM

I had a friend's 04 for a week when they were away, with an offer to buy it at a great price. So I'm one of the few who has actually A/B-ed the two cars on the same bit of road on the same day.

My car (MY00) was more nervous, harsher and hard work than the 04. But I much preferred it for a backroad blast. The later car wallowed a bit too much on the rear end for me. Although as an every day car the 04 was undoubtably a nicer place to be.