UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

AP2 alloys 17 by 7 on rears?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Am I missing something here? What's the problem/issue with fitting a set of standard size wheels?
Old 07-21-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I was about to ask a similar question, can't you just put the 17 inch OEM wheels back on ?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

and just so you know, there is no such thing as an AP2 in the UK. All UK cars are AP1.

Its better to describe the cars as MY00 or MY04+ etc
Old 07-21-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course I could switch them back, 2 reasons I'm not inclined to.
Firstly they (OEM 17s) now reside on the brothers avensis but more importantly I hate multi spoke wheels, particularly cleaning them and generally prefer darker coloured wheels and as above I always loved the JPS colours.

Thanks for the heads up on the proper names, where in the world are they known as AP1/2's, sure I heard it somewhere?
I don't reside in the UK, West of Ireland born & bred!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by foyler
Of course I could switch them back, 2 reasons I'm not inclined to.
Firstly they (OEM 17s) now reside on the brothers avensis but more importantly I hate multi spoke wheels, particularly cleaning them and generally prefer darker coloured wheels and as above I always loved the JPS colours.

Thanks for the heads up on the proper names, where in the world are they known as AP1/2's, sure I heard it somewhere?
I don't reside in the UK, West of Ireland born & bred!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000

All you need to know here.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheers LG, that illustrates it perfectly and I should add I've been driving like miss daisy since the change as I'm hoping to keep this one out of a hedge and hopefully it's a keeper, have a Z for any hoon requirements.

So looks like it will be a challenge to find larger ones as they seem to have been discontinued (I may be wrong on that....) but they don't seem to come in .5's so 8 or 9 if I can find them?
A 9J for the rear is commonplace with aftermarket wheels for S2000's, not many wheel manufacturers do half sizes, at least that what I found when I was looking around.

Getting the right offset is important as well, the higher the better. A good set up is 8J front and 9J rear, with that set up you can run standard tyre sizes on that set up. Or you can go bigger if you have a high enough offset/rolled arches or a combo of the 2.

From memory, HondR and Newera Imports can source Advans. I'm also sure that one of the many traders on here could help with sourcing a bigger set of wheels. Otherwise, you may just have to keep your eyes peeled on FB for sale groups/EBay and other places for a set.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:28 AM

Thanks dj, that's all very helpful. Got some bits of newera before when a Legacy GT-B I had imploded so I'll give them a shout.
Good point on the offset in case I do manage to find a set of 5zigen 9's , it would then be 7 front and 9 rear?
I'd plan to change the fronts to the oem size of 215 when the current pair wear out as I just happened to have a pair of half worn 225's in the shed.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks dj, that's all very helpful. Got some bits of newera before when a Legacy GT-B I had imploded so I'll give them a shout.
Good point on the offset in case I do manage to find a set of 5zigen 9's , it would then be 7 front and 9 rear?
I'd plan to change the fronts to the oem size of 215 when the current pair wear out as I just happened to have a pair of half worn 225's in the shed.
An 8J would be better on the front if you had a 9J on the rear. You could run 215/225/235 or 245 with that but getting wheels in the right offsets is very VERY important.

Have a search on the forum/google for S2000 offset wheel fitment or something like that. It brings up a very good guide to offsets and what tyres you can run on an S2000 depending on the offset your wheels are WITHOUT getting any rubbing.

i believe people on here have used Injection Imports as well and Hendy Performance. Hendy is very good, great customer service and when I've ordered stuff from them I've been very impressed.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:44 AM

Cheers man I've used hendy as well. I was hoping to avoid having to buy a full set, particularly as I really like the design and colour of the 5zigens but point taken on the importance of getting offsets right.
If I can get the rears in 17 by 9s I'll change the front tyres to 215s and maybe something with a stiffer sidewall, then all I need to do is burn off the new uniroyals on the back and I should be some way to getting it sorted.

Fitted the spigot rings earlier and it at least sorted the vibration but still awfully wobbly out the rear end....
Old 07-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I would get rid of those wheels ASAP. Going square would already make the car more prone to oversteer; going with such narrow wheels makes it unsafe. Safety>"love the alloys"

Quick Reply: AP2 alloys 17 by 7 on rears?