UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Robs Monster S2K build

Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Robs Monster S2K build

Ok so it was a few days ago now. I had been missing driving the S over christmas and was a little bored. So off I went in rather unpleasant conditions to take her for a spin. About 5 minutes later I was literally spinning out of control after hitting an off camber hump at highish RPM's and the rear end breaking loose on a wet/icy dual carrage way. Anyway, the upshot is I was planning a build on the car in the new year, this has just bought it on sooner.

I have this turbo which I may or may not use. I'm undecided at the minute whether to keep this or go for a borg warner egr which has internal wastegates and blow off valve. Its basically the cutting edge of turbo technology right now. I aim to make 500 at the wheels on the stock block.

So the strip begins.

Engine, gearbox and diff next...
Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Bullshit admin here... I know why you didn't reply to my PM now seeing the pics of the car

You are going to need a big exhaust with that turbo!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Dec 30 2010, 08:31 PM
Bullshit admin here... I know why you didn't reply to my PM now seeing the pics of the car

You are going to need a big exhaust with that turbo!
He'd better not take it out in the wet again after the turbo is fitted........it might be a bigger off next time

Chris.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like its gonna be a fun project

the company i work for "caterpillar marine power uk" uses borg warner turbo's on our marine diesel engine so if you give me the spec of what your after i can more then likely get a discounted rate before you pay someone retail price for one!!

i work in the R&D department so anything is available for us to get a quote for you
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM

I did'nt reply because I did'nt think I'd realistically get the deal I wanted out of you if im honest. I payed good money ofr my S at the time and it was a mint low milage example for its year. At least this way I can do what Ive craved since the Jordan build I did back in 2005 and build a car from the ground up the way I want it

And yup, the exhaust gasses will be taken care of via a J's 70RR single exit cat back exhaust.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Yea Chris. Well I'll definately never push the car like I did the other day in the wet. It was a stupid mistake as I know the road well and how the car has reacted over the same piece of road previously. You live and learn I guess. 9inch front wheels and 10 inch rears with the rubber to match should keep traction though.

Cheers Rob that would definately be a great help. I do have another friend in the US who is distributing for them and he said he can get me a deal, but theres certainly no harm in you getting me a quote too. I'll speak to him and check on the spec of the turbo we were talking about. I think its only just come out. No managed to talk to alex yet about the diffusers and other stuff but I will hopefully catch up with him later tonight or tomorrow Well get this sorted, and have some lovely looking S2k's to boot!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rob2.2,Dec 30 2010, 12:49 PM
looks like its gonna be a fun project

the company i work for "caterpillar marine power uk" uses borg warner turbo's on our marine diesel engine so if you give me the spec of what your after i can more then likely get a discounted rate before you pay someone retail price for one!!

i work in the R&D department so anything is available for us to get a quote for you
Soooo superyacht engines then!?

I work with marine engines, largely MAN V48/60 or Sulzer ZA40s mainly, really want to see a Sulzer RTA!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gbduo,Dec 30 2010, 01:19 PM
Soooo superyacht engines then!?

I work with marine engines, largely MAN V48/60 or Sulzer ZA40s mainly, really want to see a Sulzer RTA!
That's a different decision of cat but yes the company does make them,

The factory I work for makes 4&6 cylinder propulsion diesel engines and the well know Perkins marine brand

we are currently developing a 6.4L V8 sports boat propulsion engine tho with 500hp and 1200ftlb of torque and the flywheel
Old 12-30-2010, 12:47 PM
MB

Originally Posted by cyber gook,Dec 30 2010, 09:09 PM
I did'nt reply because I did'nt think I'd realistically get the deal I wanted out of you if im honest. I payed good money ofr my S at the time and it was a mint low milage example for its year.
Cheers

With the turbo on there, you are going to need one hell of a clutch too. Mine is great for the power but not so nice in traffic.

In the wet a turbo S is lethal, mine has tried to spit me out a couple of times but fortunately my experience with the car has kept me on the road. I must adjust the TC settings on the AEM...!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
MB

Rob, I can top trump your with 40'000 bhp shaft power on some of the large gas turbines I play with

Work with a lot of MTU / Volvo stuff too, with lots of cylinders!

Quick Reply: Robs Monster S2K build