UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Baby seat in s2k?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've done this once in a semi-emergency. The shape of the seats especially the bolsters, mean that the child seat (front facing) did not sit at all well. I was only going about 3 miles and very glad to take it out the other end. Not recommended.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 624 Likes on 546 Posts

You can't do it with babies and the rear facing clamshell seats which are required for babies

It is illegal to carry a child in a rearward-facing child seat in the front if there is an active front passenger airbag. The airbag must be deactivated or the rearward-facing child seat must be placed in the rear.

Cars, Taxis, Private Hire Vehicles, Vans and Goods Vehicles | Child Car Seats
The Honda manual then talks about risk beyond that. To mitigate that risk i have the seat as far back as possible, a booster cushion (which is seatbelt locked back) and the seatbelt tight.
And I don't drive like a cock.

If you read the Honda manual they seem to suggest your kid has to be 6ft8 before he can get in it. And I'm sure if asked they'd say he shouldn't ride a bike, skate, scoot or eat sugary food or watch violent cartoons.

my lad loves the Honda. He loves the supercharged one more.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Cheers for the input folks.

Heard that about trying to turn off the airbags
Old 06-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it. Beware, they mark the leather!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by f20rob
I've done it. Beware, they mark the leather!
Especially if they throw up on it!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering the same as I have a nearly 4 year old who is now in a Top & Bottom booster where the oem belt feeds through the seat.
Leaving aside whether its adviseable and assuming a particularly conservative and defensive driving style, when is it legal?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by foyler
Just wondering the same as I have a nearly 4 year old who is now in a Top & Bottom booster where the oem belt feeds through the seat.
Leaving aside whether its adviseable and assuming a particularly conservative and defensive driving style, when is it legal?
I guess you need to look on the relevant .GOV site for what the law states.

Or here -

Cars, Taxis, Private Hire Vehicles, Vans and Goods Vehicles | Child Car Seats
Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 AM

Thanks for the link rich, seems a little grey in relation to s2k some folks on another forum mentioned some concerns that in the worst case scenario the 'interaction' between child and bag can work badly due to height/weight of head relative to neck/body?

Thus it would be better disabled but then you're into an insurance minefield!
Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Get a Porsche Junior Plus seat once your nipper weighs 15kg or above, fairly expensive but it fits perfectly.

In my opinion this whole topic brings out more heat than light. Have a look at the stats then make your own, informed, decision weighing up the balance of risks, just like you do in every other area of parenting. There is no difference between the language in my Golf's manual about putting a car seat in the front than that in the manual for my Honda - it's not an S2000-specific issue. Plus the Golf manual does not recommend deactivating the passenger airbag for a front-facing child seat, even though it can be done...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...bag-statistics
  • Since 1990, 262 deaths reportedly have been caused by airbags inflating in low severity crashes, most of them in older model vehicles. These deaths include 87 drivers, 13 adult passengers, 138 children, and 24 infants.
  • Of the 138 children killed by passenger airbags, 109 are believed to have been unrestrained; 23 children were improperly restrained, 5 were restrained and 1 case unknown. Twenty-three of the unrestrained children were seated in the lap of a front passenger and 3 were unrestrained and on the lap of the driver. Most of these crashes involved pre-impact braking.
  • Of the 24 infants killed by airbags, 12 are believed to be restrained in rear-facing infant seats; 4 in rear-facing restraints on laps; 5 were not properly secured in rear-facing restraints and 3 unknown if properly restrained. Sixteen cases involved pre-impact braking and in 1 case pre-impact braking is unknown.
I'll now return to lurking.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 624 Likes on 546 Posts

Interesting stats there, the conjecture is always rear is safer but my lad hates the boot

Positioning Child Car Seats in Cars | Child Car Seats

Quick Reply: Baby seat in s2k?