UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Baby seat in s2k?

Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaving aside the undisputed fact that you should never put a rearward-facing child seat in front of an active airbag, the whole topic is enormously subjective and circumstantial. In a shunt, is your kid safer in the passenger seat of a S2000 or on the back seat of a Y reg supermini? At what age? And in what car seat? In the city or on the open road? I thought hard about the rights and wrongs but I did my research, weighed things up and decided to go for it on an occasional basis. My daughter loves it and I sleep well at night.

The law will not help settle any arguments as it is all over the place when it comes to child seats. I think it's bonkers that you can drive your toddler around all day, unrestrained, in the back of a minicab completely legally, but there you are.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djnis
Leaving aside the undisputed fact that you should never put a rearward-facing child seat in front of an active airbag, the whole topic is enormously subjective and circumstantial. In a shunt, is your kid safer in the passenger seat of a S2000 or on the back seat of a Y reg supermini? At what age? And in what car seat? In the city or on the open road? I thought hard about the rights and wrongs but I did my research, weighed things up and decided to go for it on an occasional basis. My daughter loves it and I sleep well at night.

The law will not help settle any arguments as it is all over the place when it comes to child seats. I think it's bonkers that you can drive your toddler around all day, unrestrained, in the back of a minicab completely legally, but there you are.
If the manufacturer (who spends millions on crash safety) deems it unsafe to carry a child then its good enough for me. Why would I purposely want to put my put my childs life at risk?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Al_G
If the manufacturer (who spends millions on crash safety) deems it unsafe to carry a child then its good enough for me. Why would I purposely want to put my put my childs life at risk?
Having read the manual and considered all the information I could find on the subject I don't think it's that black and white. You perceive the risk to be higher than I do. Fair enough.
The following users liked this post:
sally02 (03-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by djnis
Having read the manual and considered all the information I could find on the subject I don't think it's that black and white. You perceive the risk to be higher than I do. Fair enough.
Fair enough, I'm just not one for gambling with my childs life.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_G
Fair enough, I'm just not one for gambling with my childs life.
So sanctimonious! You do "gamble" with your child's life - probably every day - you just measure/assess risk differently to the guy above.
The following 4 users liked this post by S2Bray:
dustin02rsx (10-14-2023), MrFunk (05-25-2021), sally02 (03-20-2020), Suzuka=S2K= (07-16-2023)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:28 AM

Thanks folks for the input, for & against, starting to develop into a' won't somebody think of the children' type discussion a la cycling helmet threads on another forum I frequent.
As above we face these decisions everyday and I'm likely a little more old school than some in my outlook.
Probably be safer in the Z where the seat is much further from the bag, but nowhere near as much fun and sure she'd be safer again in a Sherman tank with a rear facing nuclear bunker made of unobtanium .....
Old 06-21-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Or are we ignoring common sense, the law, and advice from the manufacturer?

Personally I'd only take a kid in my S2000, encased in a tub of concrete, in the boot......................................But then I don't like children.

Last edited by richmc; 06-21-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Bray
So sanctimonious! You do "gamble" with your child's life - probably every day - you just measure/assess risk differently to the guy above.

i agree

given children come off worse in car accidents do you always take the bus then?

there's a thing called degrees of risk

i've never had an accident which inflated an airbag. I'm quite owd...

but i have been knocked off my bike twice. I still let my boy ride. I still take him on a plane on holiday..
The following users liked this post:
sally02 (03-20-2020)
Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
https://youtu.be/EPa5oVG-nII

Or are we ignoring common sense, the law, and advice from the manufacturer?

Personally I'd only take a kid in my S2000, encased in a tub of concrete, in the boot......................................But then I don't like children.
It looks that way unfortunately.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting debate. In the market for an S as our second car, mostly for me but the wife might use it on occasion with either of our kids (more in an emergency). I have an eight and a four year old and whilst I wouldn't make a habit of taking them out I was considering it from time-to-time... I feel more comfortable with the eight year old as she can sit on a booster (is usually in a seat).

I believe the law states a child can ride in the front without an additional seat in an 'emergency'. Clearly an emergency is subjective... I personally put my eldest in the front in our 2014 Forrester which automatically disables the front air bag. I do this on journeys when her travel sickness is particularly bad. She is often sick with medicine and bands making no difference. Don't like it but not a lot of alternatives.