UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Back in July i bought.....

Old 08-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

I think i see it as a challenge to make it a reliable, quick car i can use for the odd trackday

i really dont mind the tinkering if i'm honest. I've not done it since hot hatches in my 20s really as my other S has been dealer maintained (i've had it since 1500 miles on the clock)

Time and updates to this thread will gauge my success.. so far, work in progress

edit to say if i learn half as much as you did with that race car i'll be pleased
Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad its fixed. I swear once you modify a car you will never be done with it. There's always something that needs doing. Id love to get to the point where i can just drive it without having something on the to do list . I've come to the conclusion i need to increase the ride height of mine as i managed to rub a hole on the inside of the wheel arch liner while at the Ring
Old 10-25-2017, 05:58 AM

So..the ABS light saga rumbles on
that came on after the diff work and i did as much self diagnosis as i could, testing continuity etc. In the end, as per my ABS sensor thread, i was sure my rear drivers side sensor was fooked as i got no voltage off that at all when spinning the wheel.
I ordered one from the US, half the price of here even with duties (thanks Honda UK you robbing ****s)

alas it didnt solve the issue. Had an auto electrician look at it and he said the other rear is gone too. So leaving the car on axle stands has fooked both i think, they are under a lot of tension when you jack this car up which is annoying.

so another ordered from the states with autozone as they allow prepaid import duties so it should be faster.

MOT expires on the 14th so it should beat the deadline

meanwhile i've vultured up Tims' (sorry Tim) gauge pod and will be fitting that when it arrives. Also bought some POR15 as over the winter i need to start a bit of corrosion protection. I've submitted plans for a 3rd garage but that's a long way off having somewhere dry to store the little beast
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 AM

and on
both rear ABS sensors replaced, light remains steadfastly on
this is one of those problems now. I cant diagnose, the local place use an freelance auto electrician and he said rear pas sensor but that's replaced and still an issue.
I've dropped it off at a different garage now. properly fed up now

these are a twat to diagnose on a UK car then stupidly expensive for parts

at least with the BM i could buy carly and wifi OBD2, there are no reasonable options for this car
Old 11-08-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I might be totally wrong here, but could the ABS ring be damaged? With the diff being replaced, did you take the drive shafts out of the rear hubs? As I say, might be totally wrong but just a thought.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 AM

They look ok..

we think either the abs needs clearing or the main unit is fecked. I dont believe in coincidence though

dude is gonna wire to obd from abs as he cant connect to it so maybe some wiring butchered
Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it an early model and you cant jumper it from the OBD2? If so brown SC wire on ECU from modifry site tells you which to ground. ABS light should clear after a drive if everything is fixed, hope you get it sorted since if its not a full on track car you might need the ABS.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 AM

Yeah need the ABS to pass MOT so i’m almost snookered.

auto lec thinks my obd wiring is bad so is looking at that. Its weird how it has to switch the light off with a signal from the controller i think..

it might become a track car at this rate. I’ve noticed abs is pretty useful this time of year

edit verdict is in, controller reporting a rear left sensor issue, that is new and sending signal to controller so we feel the controller board has an issue.

costs so far
ABS sensor RR £100
diagnosis £80
ABS sensor LR £100
diagnosis and fitting scs ground to flash codes £80
abs module £45
PGM tester £170 (this was ott but cheap and given i have 2 S2s and dealers want £85 to plug it in i thought feckit)

never had such a frustrating problem before

the auto leccy managed to introduce a diagnostic ground wire, you pop a fuse in and the abs blinks out the DTC (here's a vid
)

and it can clear it too

it comes back immediately without moving but at the plug it all looks perfect, hence we suspect the board in the abs unit

update 15/11

replacement abs modulator plugged in, abs light goes out.. so i plumbed it in tonight and will bleed the brakes and MOT* the old girl...clearly thr board has fried.. a dry joint possibly

* at some point haha
Old 11-09-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Yeah need the ABS to pass MOT so i’m almost snookered.

auto lec thinks my obd wiring is bad so is looking at that. Its weird how it has to switch the light off with a signal from the controller i think..

it might become a track car at this rate. I’ve noticed abs is pretty useful this time of year

edit verdict is in, controller reporting a rear left sensor issue, that is new and sending signal to controller so we feel the controller board has an issue
I can loan you an abs module? whatsapp me.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:28 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Don’t fall for it Nottm. Next thing you know you will be being bummed with an 8 ball in your mouth.
The following users liked this post:
Nottm_S2 (11-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Back in July i bought.....