UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Back in July i bought.....

Old 11-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Yeah cat on, bungs in (as it failed on noise)

didnt touch the map and left WB as it was (on), i have 3 maps and used the one AJ recommended

i believe without feedback it runs richer? On the old map it certainly did - my garage wall is testament to this and it stank/guzzled

i didnt see any output and didnt discuss emissions with em
thanks for feedback fingers crossed I can get mine through at my local honda
Old 12-15-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

so.. tuned and just north of 380bhp at 9krpm

runs lovely and goes like stink.. delighted

oh.. and the belt didnt break on the dyno! yay
Old 12-15-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Ideal! and no belt slip either by the looks
Old 01-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Not much tinkering of late
I ordered a catch can, that's lost in the post currently.. i've requested a replacement but the ebay seller is a tardy muthafunka and will shortly receive a claim if he doesn't pull his finger out.
also ordered 2 new cat gaskets as they are ... well used.. (not on a cat currently) and the car is a little fumey at times

next job is an exhaust which will allow me on track and not harm the power. The Skunk2 is so loud on this car it failed the MOT without bungs

I found this.. it said dont go for a bigger bore

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...-817368/page9/
Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

With an SC I wouldn't worry too much about which manifold to go for... NA it can make a fair bit of difference but SC I'd be more focussed on quality and price.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:41 AM

I wasnt too fussed about a manifold, more the test pipe back. The Skunk2 is silly loud and apparently SC cars are louder still (seems logical)

i can flog the skunk fot NA use i guess. i ought to do a drive by vid..
Old 01-31-2017, 03:05 AM

So the catch can never arrived but i got a refund

then i did some more research, here Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more! was quite a good read of the history of crankcase ventilation, basically it says
  • you're venting blowback - from inside the crankcase through to the cam cover - so there's a mix of air, oil vapour and fuel in there
  • you get more of this blowback with FI (naturally - higher pressure)
  • a PCV works by opening only when there is more pressure in the crankcase than there is in the inlet so only at low engine speed for a SC engine (same as NA but perhaps more accentuated)
  • venting against a pressurised intake, even at the c12psi i'm running is not good, this can cause gaskets to fail in the top of the engine, your dip stick to pop out etc (mine doesnt do this)
  • as well as gunking the SC, the intake etc you can get carbon build up inside the engine
  • oil vapour in the intake will hamper power too
  • an empty catch can is a crap catch can if you're recirculating. You want to facilitate the oil vapour collection. However it's less important if you dont plumb into your intake i guess.
in the current setup the PCV runs as stock from the can cover to the intake
the second vent runs into the SC intake and this is spitting oil through the SC, intake etc which is primarily my issues

i don't think the PCV is doing much to be honest, i've looked at the hose and it was cleaner than the other crank vent hose (which is oily) but the standard approach seems to be to push both hoses into a vented catch can and blank off the intake connections so that's my plan.

i'll update when it arrives..
Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 AM

so.. Trigger ((C) Graves) has been put to work after the daily knacked up.

it's been great fun tbh. In first she'll spit a bit of fire as you change up and pop a bit which doesn't look overly environmentally friendly tbf.

On that theme I had some hybrid, who i'd gone past at the previous lights, race me off at the lights and lets just say while he got the drop with electorque and 4wd it was a fair mullering in terms of drama and speed by Trig'

Car is behaving, bad mpg, bad nvh and a bit smelly but with the bungs in my brain no longer bleeds on the 20 mile commute
Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Electric & 4WD?

What was it - an NC1 NSX??
Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
So the catch can never arrived but i got a refund

then i did some more research, here Oil Catch Cans Everything you need to know and more! was quite a good read of the history of crankcase ventilation, basically it says.
Good read that. It never ceases to amaze me how much oil is caught by my UPR cans even after limited driving (< 500 miles).

Quick Reply: Back in July i bought.....