S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Bad smell (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/bad-smell-785704/)

rossmarts 04-29-2010 11:59 PM

Bad smell

Hi All,

I have recently noticed a smell which I can only describe as being like burnt clutch only not quite as strong coming from towards the rear of the car. It is present after even the shortest journeys with very tame driving. The clutch was replaced by Honda less than 1,000 miles ago as there was a fault which went undetected by the previous owner so I sincerely hope it isn't that and I certainly can't feel the clutch slipping at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the smell?

Thanks,
R

Kawasakivtec 04-30-2010 12:03 AM

Binding caliper? Although unusual on such a young car.

S2000_FUN 04-30-2010 12:10 AM

:iagree:

Burnt smell can come either from binding caliper or from a clutch. There was a time i sliped the clutch many times trying to get out of a big angle very tight cornered garage and the clutch was smelling burnt even 2 days later :rolleyes:

rossmarts 04-30-2010 12:17 AM

Thanks Kawasaki and S200 FUN.

I know that a burnt clutch can smell for a while after the damage is done, but this seems to be fresh each time I drive. Whilst being far from the perfect driver, I like to think that I change gear etc. well enough as not to burn the clutch every time.

I will try and take a look at the calipers and see if I can spot any problems. Is there something obvious to look for or does it mean wheels off and poke around etc.

Also, if it is a binding caliper wouldn't I feel that as I drive the car?

Mother Theresa 04-30-2010 12:31 AM

A binding calliper will give you a hot wheel compared to the others and rather than gliding to a halt on the flat you will stop relatively suddenly and rock back very slightly.

coolchrisuk 04-30-2010 12:39 AM

Get underneath and check the length of your exhaust, if you have run over any carrier bags recently you may be in for a surprise, my mugen has one on and it does stink, need to get under there when it's hot with some good Ppe and a stiff brush!!

LTB 04-30-2010 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa,Apr 30 2010, 08:31 AM
A binding calliper will give you a hot wheel compared to the others and rather than gliding to a halt on the flat you will stop relatively suddenly and rock back very slightly.

Use the back of your hand to gauge the temperature of your brake discs, if one has a binding caliper you'll notice a difference.

S2000_FUN 04-30-2010 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by coolchrisuk,Apr 30 2010, 12:39 AM
Get underneath and check the length of your exhaust, if you have run over any carrier bags recently you may be in for a surprise, my mugen has one on and it does stink, need to get under there when it's hot with some good Ppe and a stiff brush!!

This can be another reason and it takes very long time for the smell to dissapear

TommyS2000 04-30-2010 03:05 AM

Mine has started doing this too. The calipers are sooooo damn weak on the S2000's!

rossmarts 04-30-2010 03:16 AM

Will give all the suggestions a try, thanks everyone. TBH I'm just glad you haven't all gone 'the clutch is fooked' as that is money I could do without having to spend!