UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

bad vibrations

Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts
Default bad vibrations

I have had a vibration in my S while accelerating, it comes and goes but seemed to have sorted itself out recently. Driving back from North Weald yesterday it has come back again but a lot worse.

When I had the Geo done a few months back TGM had a look but couldn't find anything obvious. Honda today said they'd need the car and would just have to go through the process of elimination until they find it - which I'm terrified of the cost of.

Basically when I accelerate, I reach about 2.5K revs the car vibrates, over 4000 it smooths out. Nothing coming from the steering wheel so suggests that its rear wheels at fault. Its ruining my VTEC experience.!

I've posted on this before so have had a few ideas and have had wheels balanced and all the obvious things checked.

Coming round to the idea of dropping it into TGM and asking them to stick with it until they find the cause, if they find it straight away then fine, but an worried it will be one of those things that just gets more and more expensive as they work their way through the possible causes.

Anyone offer any advice as to how to go forward on this ? I'm after an quick and accurate diagnosis so I can just get on and get it fixed. Am not a DIYer when it comes to these things so it will have to be a solution from a garage.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it 2.5k revs in all gears or just one gear?
It could be speed rather than revs?

Can you get the back up on blocks and get to 2.5k revs with the wheels off the ground, this might show you if it's some sort of engine vibration.
Or perhaps freewheel down a slope and get to speed and see if it vibrates.

If it's not the suspension and it's not the engine then it's perhaps something to do with the gearbox or driveshaft .. or lupus.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:47 AM

Thanks Rob,
Good idea. I'll take to for a run at lunchtime as see if I can get it to do it through the gear range, but it does seen to be only when under load.
I'll also try it again up hill to see if it comes in earlier as the loading comes in.

Driveshaft balance was one of the previous sugestions sp may be worth an investigation.

All of them sound expensive

lupus ?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Rob asks, is it in that rev range in every gear, or just at a specific speed range in every gear?

The reason I ask is that I had a similar thing with mine. It virated under acceleration between 45 and 90 millisectors per hectair. I initially thought it would be a second/third gear issue. Honda stripped the back end and checked the diff, prop shaft and half shafts, and found no fault.

It turned out to be a manufacturing defect in my new tyre. Once the tyre wore down, the vibration got progressively better. Once I changed tyres, it went away completely.

I'm not discounting that it could be a probelm bought on/made worse by the spirited driving on the airfield, but it could be a problem caused by tyre wear from the same. Do you still have your 16's? It may be worth swapping back to see if it's a tyre issue or not.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the driveshaft cups to me!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 AM

Yup drive shaft cups . Drive shaft spacers will sort it

Had same on a certain rev range then put the spacers in and no more
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM

ime cups = vibration goes upto read line.
having this issue now, and getting a replacement d/shaft.

if it's lower rpm then i'd be going with wheel balance...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:31 AM

Following another thread it seems I was a bit of a muppet and set my tyre pressures to 32 when they were still hot on Sunday.
So this may have conributed to the vibation feeling worse on the way home. Just been out with correct pressures and it does seem a little better.
But the underlying problem is still there.

So looks like I need to get drive shaft cups replaced ? Is this something I can ask Honda to do at the next service. Will they fit spacers too ?

I had a search of the forum on spacers and it seems to be a problem for lowered cars, which mine is not. Excuse my ignorance but didnt know what these even were until today.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 AM

Yes we have customer with this problem before, it was only the driveshaft cup. You don't need to replace them and you don't need a spacer, we have fix this before, won't cost you too much for repair.

Dixon
Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 AM

I have some spacers if you need to buy a new set they are new

they take 20 mins to fit, real easy job

you will not need to replace the cups if you use spacers or u can just replace the cups and if I recall they were £200 each when I had the same issue. I also swapped cups over from one side to other but did not work

Quick Reply: bad vibrations