S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Battery & Trickle Charger (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/battery-trickle-charger-1179401/)

Xernox 11-11-2017 03:29 AM

Battery & Trickle Charger

Due to being cheap I decided to purchase a trickle charger from Aldi, which seemed to be doing a good job until yesterday when I found its now buggered.

The consequence of which is the battery is now buggered and won’t charge.

So I need a new battery and trickle charger and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations other than what I am thinking below:

Genuine battery from Cox as there’s a sale on and purchase a Optimate trickle charger (I used to have one for a bike engined kit car)

Comments/ thoughts greatly appreciated.

lovegroova 11-11-2017 03:55 AM

Cox/Hendy for the battery

Optimate or ctek for the charger. Loads of threads on those if you have a search.

Nottm_S2 11-11-2017 04:02 AM

Been using a ctek for years

Buy cheap, buy twice it seems. A ctek may revive your battery

BenRNBP 11-11-2017 04:24 AM

Depending on the state of the battery most chargers need to sense a voltage before they'll start charging - so if the battery is totally flat it can be resolved by giving it a jump with another 12v battery to kick the charging off. - having said that the button stopped working on my Lidl "Ultimate Speed" charger.

To recover a dead battery you really need a very low amp "dumb" charger and trickle over a couple of weeks, although my Ctek seems to do a pretty decent job despite it not being the "proper" way of de-sulphating

richmc 11-11-2017 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP (Post 24381598)
Depending on the state of the battery most chargers need to sense a voltage before they'll start charging - so if the battery is totally flat it can be resolved by giving it a jump with another 12v battery to kick the charging off. - having said that the button stopped working on my Lidl "Ultimate Speed" charger.

To recover a dead battery you really need a very low amp "dumb" charger and trickle over a couple of weeks, although my Ctek seems to do a pretty decent job despite it not being the "proper" way of de-sulphating

I had a similar situation, looked like the Lidl charger was fubar, stuck it accoss a good battery for a few hours and then accoss the dead battery, it then burst into life charging a dead battery.

Little Bob 11-11-2017 06:42 AM

I've had a Ctek MXS 5.0 for a while, can't fault it, it also has a battery reconditioning function that can revive and save some dead batteries too.

Also works with AGM and lead acid batteries, so pretty versatile.

RobinA3 11-11-2017 01:02 PM

I have 3 CTEK charger on the go at the moment for all 3 of my cars which all rarely get used, haven't had any problems with them.

Toms1989 11-11-2017 10:30 PM

Another CTEK user here :) gets my recommendation!

tozerman 11-12-2017 02:54 AM

Yep, CTEK here too :thumbup:

The King 11-12-2017 03:39 AM

I have had a CTEK for many years. It has seen a lot of use. I used it at our dealership as there were always vehicles sitting unused for long periods of time, often in cold weather. I took it with me when we sold the shop and maintain some of our vehicles that see limited use, like the S2000. I find it hard to believe that it still works great after all these years. I also have a Battery Tender, and had the included harness hard wired in the NSX. It has also been bulletproof for the last 6+ years.