UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

BC coilovers

Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC coilovers

evening all, need some advice on the different spring rates for the s2k

im looking at ordering the coilovers tomorow. what spring rate do you's reccomend? the car will be used for road & track mostly track as the s2k is going off the road soon & a 2nd car will be bought for a runner.

thanks in advance

Yum
Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM

I'm looking for the same advice but for a daily driver that will not be tracked. Anyone here who could shed some light on this?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

If you are using it mostly for track, i'd recommend going 16kg/mm front rear.

You will still be able to do road, but B road you will have to take cautiously.

A roads should be fine though.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree.
At least 10KG on a track car or your wasting money.
Have a look at KW Clubsports too, they are valved for track work out of the box.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:01 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I went for softer spring rates than posted above, but put thicker anti roll bars on.

I only use mine for weekend blasts and trackdays.

I have found that this setup suits me well, as B roads can still be drive quickly. Yet when on a track the roll bars keep me planted.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 AM

I've got 10kg front and rear... handles alright.

In hindsight since i track it quite a bit, I'd probably go 12kg front and 12kg rear if i was to do it again.

Either way it's alright and using the damping settings you can make it feel soft anyway for roads.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:21 AM

It's not just about spring rates IMO, obviously high rates will be better for track but a big part is about the valving/ quality of the damper.

Paul_j, As I said above, anti roll bars have really made a big difference to mine. I would invest in some.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_S2k,Jun 20 2009, 09:01 AM
I went for softer spring rates than posted above, but put thicker anti roll bars on.

I only use mine for weekend blasts and trackdays.

Softer springs, stiffer ARBs. Although to be honest I often think mine are both too soft on track, and too hard on the road. But you have to compromise somewhere (and Bilsteins are ~5Kg ish, but I think the dampers are harsher than the BCs).

Depends really if you're serious about it being a trackday car, or whether like most of us you want to enjoy driving on the roads and do some trackdays.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jun 20 2009, 11:23 AM

Softer springs, stiffer ARBs. Although to be honest I often think mine are both too soft on track, and too hard on the road. But you have to compromise somewhere (and Bilsteins are ~5Kg ish, but I think the dampers are harsher than the BCs).

Depends really if you're serious about it being a trackday car, or whether like most of us you want to enjoy driving on the roads and do some trackdays.

My spring rates are approximately 7kg/mm (H&R). The car was perfect for road use IMO, before the ARB's when on.

When I fitted the Cusco bits it did make the ride harsher, but the pro's out weighed the con's. The body roll that was still there after fitting the coilovers was instantly gone. The car is so planted now it's untrue, yet if I still hit a pot hole, the suspension can cope without me thinking 'something has just broke'.

This can't be used as a comparison, but, one of my mates has Tein street's (high spring rate) fitted to his corrolla. When driving the car it actually makes you feel sick, the damping/rebound is appauling. I would read comments on here and make an informed decision before rushing into anything.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know the standard spring rates for each of the various set-ups over the years?