S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Berk HFC (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/berk-hfc-1177588/)

ClumUK 09-14-2017 10:43 AM

Berk HFC

So my cat has started to rattle and faced with the options of buying some random cat from eBay, a used OEM, or a sports cat I've gone with the latter. I've ordered a Berk HFC 63.5mm which hasn't arrived yet, but after doing some research I've heard that it may fail an MOT due to it not being a standard full cat.

I was wondering has anyone here failed their MOT with the Berk due to a visual check rather than emissions? And any tips to help pass emissions?

Cheers

mcrossley 09-14-2017 11:13 AM

Don't think I've ever seen a tester look for type approval marks on a cat ;)
So long as it passes the emission test they are happy - but I do have a tame tester.

grantwestgarth 09-14-2017 11:38 AM

Mine was tested by three different people and no-one mentioned it... Failed on emissions, but that's a whole other story!

CHIPPO 09-14-2017 12:09 PM

Just make sure car is fully hot before MOT and the are carried out at around a min of 2800rpm.

last MOT the guy knew all this and was happy car was. Hot , just been thrashed actually , and he used his adjustable pole to keep a tad of throttle on .

perfect pass !

djchocice 09-14-2017 02:00 PM

I've had my 70mm HFC on for about a year and I had no problem with my MOT. The only thing is to make sure the cat is hot before the emissions test and you'll have no problems.

It made a big difference from the bum dyno and the exhaust note is so much better, more aggressive and hollow and vtec is utterly addictive now.

TLDR; buy a HFC, you'll have no problems with the MOT, sounds better and performs better, Win Win.

BenRNBP 09-14-2017 11:45 PM

Nope, 3 ( maybe 4 ?) MOTS with the Berk 63.5 and no issues from either visual inspection or measured CO / HC

I fitted mine myself so didn't get to find out if a garage would refuse to fit for me but I really can't imagine anyone would.

ClumUK 09-15-2017 12:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, just got to play the waiting game now while it ships from the US. It's the second rattling exhaust part I've had to replace this year, first was the resonator in April.
I use a great garage near my house for maintenance etc @ £36/h inc VAT but they don't do MOTs. What kind of garage do you use for MOTs? Would an 'MOT only' place be more likely to pass than say Halfords, or would an independent be better?

devon2k 09-15-2017 12:41 AM

I've got a Berk 63.5mm and used my local Honda agent for MOT. The car initially failed the emissions test, but they had enough knowledge to warm it up and do a second test. No problem.

Don't dump your OEM rattler just in case. It's a quick job to swap them over for the MOT, and then swap back to the Berk.

BenRNBP 09-15-2017 12:54 AM

As for MOTs, a few places, but mostly chains - like ATS Euromaster or Southern Tyre & Auto as they do £30 MOT deals and they won't be doing any remedial work

minvo 09-22-2017 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO (Post 24354679)
Just make sure car is fully hot before MOT and the are carried out at around a min of 2800rpm.

last MOT the guy knew all this and was happy car was. Hot , just been thrashed actually , and he used his adjustable pole to keep a tad of throttle on .

perfect pass !

Cheers mate for that info... I have my MOT on Monday - the 1st one after putting the HFC on last year.
I will defo tell my local garage to take the car for a "warm up" lap before testing - I am sure he will enjoy it (like he always does!)

Steve