S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Berk HFC (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/berk-hfc-1193822/)

zushi 05-02-2019 05:15 AM

Berk HFC

Hi All,

My 2005 had her MOT on Monday, all good (as usual, which is nice) although a new noise that had been
developing was confirmed as a wobbly cat. (thump it, can feel it moving inside) so time for a replacement.

As OEM's are super expensive, and I (should) be fitting the Tanabe Medallion in a few weeks (if it arrives)
was thinking perhaps a Berk HFC (63mm) might be a fun alternative?

Don't drive the car much, its just really a bit of fun, so nice that it will make more noise (fitting a K&N
FIPK too) so you can probably imagine what I'm going for. Question for those experienced with the
Berk if I may.

Is it as "fit & forget" and compatiible with the O2 / emissions etc. as it seems to be reading through forum posts?

Realize they don't last forever on super-tuned cars, but I'm hoping its a relatively pain-free substitute on an otherwise
standard car without additional mods to prevent CEL errors etc.

Thanks in advance.

BenRNBP 05-02-2019 08:31 AM

Yes, fit and forget, pain-free - replaced for a similar reason as you. I've had a Berk cat fitted for the last 4 MOTs and it's been fine, although not sure it makes more noise (K&N FIPK fitted too) as the OEM is "High flow" too

chrispayze 05-02-2019 12:35 PM

Out of interest, where did you source your Medallion Touring exhaust?

Thanks
Chris

zushi 05-03-2019 01:00 AM

Chris,

Ordered from H-Tune, who ordered from their supplier(?) Have been promised a dispatch next week, so we'll see!

Had shortlisted the Tanabe and a Milltek (would prefer oval pipes) but both have proven difficult to track down.
The Milltek group buy/re-order requires 15 to place the build order, and its not looking like the list is filling up to me.

Regards
Chris

zushi 05-03-2019 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP (Post 24597373)
Yes, fit and forget, pain-free - replaced for a similar reason as you. I've had a Berk cat fitted for the last 4 MOTs and it's been fine, although not sure it makes more noise (K&N FIPK fitted too) as the OEM is "High flow" too

Thanks Ben,

Appreciate you confirming what I hoped. Wasn't looking at it being louder, but if you YouTube S2K exhausts, the Berk crops up a lot. Fit and forget suits me. Cheers, Chris

Riknos 05-03-2019 06:32 AM

Slighty off topic - what size bolts are needed for the cat?

Also - anyone recommend some bolt extractors that fit the nuts on the cat? Mine are rusted beyond comprehension

BenRNBP 05-03-2019 08:02 AM

Pretty sure they are an M10 not sure of the length 30-35mm I reckon - I used angle grinder to get the old ones off but did have to drop the whole thing to get access. The Berk kit came with tri-gasket and bolts (hence not sure of length)